Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Ever since I moved to a new place a few days ago my computer has randomly been shutting off. I can sometimes reproduce it in certain situations (starting a game, for example), but as of late its getting worse and I can barely do anything after booting. After it shuts off, when you turn it back on everything seems to run but I don't get an output to my monitor and there aren't any beeps or anything. If you restart again though its back to semi-normal until it shuts down again. :confused: I thought this was the graphics card so I switched to a geforce fx 5600 (i was going to anyway after my old one burned out) from an old nvidia tnt.
The rest of the computer stats are:

athlon xp 2200
512M ram
asus a7v333 mobo
sblive audigy
generic network card
sony dvd-rw
400w power supply

in an antec case with about 5 fans..

i've reconnected everything a few times and tried to wipe and install an operating system but i haven't been able to get it running long enough to do so..

from the similar questions i've read this might be a power supply problem... but any help is very appreciated.. i want to make sure thats what it is before i spring for a new psu

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi mate

Firstly i would make sure everything is seated
correctly on the mobo, remove all the ram
and expansion cards and reseat them, if it
continues to screw you about try repacing
the PSU

PeAcE
Dz

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it is the power supply and its doing all that i would be worried, if a power supply goes bad or doesent work than AC electric currents are well i would say "surging" through your components.

The PSU could likely be bad its usualy the most likely component in a PC to ever go bad but i bet it's taken something else with it by now i would try a diff PSU asap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had same prob

Did you build this PC your self? if so then you may have not put a good amount of thermal compound on the core of your processor, i had the same problem, my pc kept on shutting down and drove me crazy. i checked the CPU temp and the seemed normal, but still i predicted the CPU was the culprit. I releases the heatsink off the socket, only to realize that the thermal compund that i applied was everywhere but the core of the CPU :upset: it was my fault all along, the first time i installed teh heatsink it was a hassle so when i finally installed it all the compund was smushed out of the core, so this time i was careful not to move the heat sink much when installing it!!! after all was done i turned on the PC and made sure all the Fans were spinning, i lived happily ever after!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
ever tried to check the memory?
"....I can sometimes reproduce it in certain situations (starting a game, for example)..."
could also be a defective adress in ram after moving...

Greetz
Pen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.