Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the last few days my computer just randomly started to restart. It will also close windows occasionally without warning. The restart could be immediately after the windows XP screen shows up after starting, or it could restart an hour after the computer has already been on. Anytime I would try to update any files (for antivirus, windows, anything really) some error would occur, like "bad data" or "corrupt file" and so on.

I tried running a virus scan with AVG, and also tried Ad-Aware. Neither found anything. I then wiped the entire computer and restored it to factory-ness. The problem still happens. This is leading me to believe it isn't a virus or anything, but maybe some type of glitch in my computer. I really dont know alot about computers, so I dont even know if this would be the proper place to post, but any help would be appreciated.

Im running Windows XP SP2 on a Medion computer if thats any help. Oh, and the computer still restarts on its own even in safe mode. Thanks again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a similar problem, but that was right after I used a registry cleaner. I had a backup of my registry and restored and my PC started working fine again. Did you use anything like a registry cleaner/optimizer?

·
Registered
131 Posts
So for the last few days my computer just randomly started to restart. It will also close windows occasionally without warning. The restart could be immediately after the windows XP screen shows up after starting, or it could restart an hour after the computer has already been on. Anytime I would try to update any files (for antivirus, windows, anything really) some error would occur, like "bad data" or "corrupt file" and so on.

I tried running a virus scan with AVG, and also tried Ad-Aware. Neither found anything. I then wiped the entire computer and restored it to factory-ness. The problem still happens. This is leading me to believe it isn't a virus or anything, but maybe some type of glitch in my computer. I really dont know alot about computers, so I dont even know if this would be the proper place to post, but any help would be appreciated.

Im running Windows XP SP2 on a Medion computer if thats any help. Oh, and the computer still restarts on its own even in safe mode. Thanks again.
When you wiped the whole computer and restored it to factory settings, does that mean you formatted the hard drives and reinstalled the operating system from scratch? If yes, are you continuing to experience the "bad data" or "corrupt file" issues?

If you are continuing to get those issues, those may be the early signs of a failing hard drive, but it should not be contributing to the random restarts.

For the restarting issue, it could be caused by your CPU or Power Supply overheating. Do you know if that is an issue? (Is the computer case hot or very warm to the touch?) Check to ensure that your fans are running (see if they're spinning) and make sure that the computer's fan exhaust vents (typically near the top and/or rear) and fan intake vents (near the front of the computer) are not obstructed - either of those would reduce air circulation within the case, leading to a build up in temperatures. You may also want to open your case (if that option is available to you) to see if it is full of dust, cobwebs, etc. Cleaning advice can be found here: http://www.directron.com/cleaning.html

You can also download a utility called SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) which will show you the temperatures inside your system if your motherboard chipset supports temperature & fan speed reporting.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think it would be helpful if we had a couple of specific error messages. You might try using the f8 key on restart and choosing to disable automatic restart. A blue screen should appear when this thing occurs. The blue screen will have some code that you need to make note of. Then the research can begin.
Are you able to get to the event viewer. Some clues might be there. It sounds an wful lot like a driver issue but I could be wrong. I've been wrong before (hence my three marriages).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used a registry cleaner, I cant think of the exact name right now, but I used that after the whole restarting thing became an issue, so I dont think thats the problem.

By reformatting my computer I mean I put the recovery disk in the computer and recopied all startup files, restore setting and erase all data, and restore all system files. I dont know if thats a proper reformatting or not though.

The fans should be working fine, the computer doesn't get too hot. I opened up the case and blew out all the dust (there was ALOT in the fans), but the computer still restarts.

I'll try the f8 thing when I get home, so I should be able to try that out sunday, or for sure by monday.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, the computer is a Medion MS-7036. x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping Genuine Intel 2926 MHz.
The video card is an Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family. 512 MB DDR RAM.
Power suooly is 120 or 110 Volt
or whatever, I dont know if thats what you wanted to know. I dont know how to find the wattage, and dont know hoe to check the BIOS for temperature. I couldn't get the computer on the internet today (wouldn't acquire an ip address for some reason) so I couldn't download the thing to see the temperature inside the computer.

Today I tried to format the entire computer via the windows CD, and reinstall windows.
When windows was reinstalling it came up with a few errors saying a few files failed installing,
so I hit retry and they seemed to work.
The CD told me to restart the computer, so I did.
Then I got some errors.
The first try I got a message on a blue screen saying there was a windows problem with
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT,
with an error code of ***STOP: 0x0000001A (0x0004128B, 0x00c80209, 0x00000000, 0xC0883000).
I tried again after and got a similar message only this time with PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error code ***STOP: 0x0000004E (0x00000099, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

The computer only restarts when windows is loaded too.
If I boot from a CD or let it sit on the screen where it asks
if I want to boot in safe mode or normal mode,
the computer will never restart no matter how long I let it sit.
Its only after the screen pops up where it says Windows XP and has the little green loading bar at the bottom.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
take the side off the computer and look at the label on the side of the power supply and post the brand and wattage
does it go into safe mode ok
run
chkdsk /r

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.