Tech Support banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Sorry if this isn't in the right forum, or if its a simple solution, I'm not very smart.)

So sometimes i would be playing a random game, I would just be playing, and then my computer and monitor suddenly freezes, and turns black for around 5 seconds. When the graphics come back, only certain apps' graphics would be frozen but i could still control it. Most of the time it's the game I'm playing, but YouTube, discord isn't frozen. I've tried updating my graphics driver, hell, I updated everything i could, but it still occurs.
If it helps, I'll list a few games that freeze: Roblox, Dolphin(emulator), Valorant, and others I cant remember.
I personally don't think it's that my computer is just being overworked (is that the word?) because I would be playing LoL and it wouldn't freeze while a Roblox game with the lowest graphics possible still freezes.
Thanks in advance.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,898 Posts
If you have nVidia GPU, update the drivers separately from the one in the Device Manager. 3D Drivers

·
Premium Member
41,876 Posts
Try running a Clean Boot. If this works, you can leave it this way. Or you can add one Startup Item or Service until the computer starts freezing, then you will know the culprit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, sorry for not responding for so long, I was disabling certain services like the article says, and now instead of blacking out everything, it only freezes. Seems like it was either Intel, HP, or Hamachi that caused it to black out, I'll continue disabling programs and running games for a day.
(It seems highly likely that it's Intel, since two services from Intel are still active.)

·
Premium Member
41,876 Posts
No, You want to disable ALL Non Microsoft Services and All Startup items, except Windows Defender or your AV software, then Restart. None of the programs are crucial for the computer to work. You can leave it this way. Or to find the culprit, one by one add one Service, or Startup item until the behavior starts then you will know the culprit.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,898 Posts
No disagreement with Spunk. What I I've always done was allow groups as a faster way of eliminating the culprit. I just never considered continuing to run in Clean "Mode"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, alright, I guess I misread what it says, but I've already figured out that for some reason Intel does this, so yea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts