Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So I am running an Hp Pavilion a6244n computer with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I have just started to recently have some really annoying issues. When I try to open google chrome (or any other program really) the computer doesn't do anything for literally like 3 minutes, then it opens. Now when it opens it will work for a little while but then it will stop trying to load pages. I will hit new tab and it will just load a white page and I can't do anything. It took me 5 minutes to get to this website alone. After awhile the computer starts working and everything is smooth but then it freezes up again. I can still click stuff but it doesn't load or do anything. Another example is in Windows Media Player. When I click to play a new song sometimes it just says media changing for a good 5 minutes before it ever works or if I hit the X to close it, it will take just as long. Nothing works at all when the computer freezes. I can't open anything like computer or control panel nor can I close anything. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Can I assume you're defragging your hard drive regularly?

If so, then try booting into Safe Mode with Networking. Then attempt to get on the web and see if that makes any difference. If not, the problem is likely hardware related. So you could run a hard drive diagnostic program and check temperatures and voltages in BIOS to determine whether there's overheating or a power issue. You can also run mdsched.exe or Memtest86 to test for RAM errors.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
Windows 7 defrags your hard drives weekly in the background. No need to defrag manually any more.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Right. But some people, for some reason, choose to disable the defragger. The default setting is to defrag on Wednesdays. But occassionally some people decide they don't want it to do that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My system is defragging every wednesday. Right now I am in safe mode and everything is working perfectly. There are no problems at all. So does this mean there is a virus or what is wrong?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Possibly. Run antivirus to make sure.

But I was thinking more along the lines that you have some kind of background service that's interfering with normal operations.

The next step is to open MSCONFIG and disable all non-Microsoft background services on startup. I'm going to have you look at that list, disable everything on it, then enable one service at a time, going down the list from the top and rebooting each time. Once you reboot and have the same problem, this will isolate the service or program causing the issue.

So, here's what I want you do to:

Click Start -> Run -> enter msconfig -> on General tab, click Selective Startup -> uncheck Load Startup Items -> click the Services tab -> sort the services by Manufacturer's name -> uncheck all services that aren't Microsoft except for the topmost one-> click Apply -> click OK.

Restart the computer. Keep adding services until the problem comes back, and remember to reboot each time.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Your options are to leave it on Disabled (in which case you'd have to enable it whenever you wanted to use it), look for an update/patch to the program, update Windows fully, or delete it.

I'd check for an update or patch and make sure Windows is fully updated. If that doesn't help or doesn't apply, I'd just delete it personally. But at this point it's up to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.