Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted in another tech support forum, hoping to get more input here.

Cut n' Paste:

Alright, my computer randomly shut down the other day.

On trying to restart I get the recovering from a severe error shtick and choose start as normal, nothing. Try to choose safe mode with networking, nothing (It trys but never completes) all the way down the line. It won't even boot as safe with command prompt.

I tried use last working settings, no luck.

Gave up for a while and came back to it later, making sure nothing was loose etc. I was bending down to look inside as I booted up and my forehead came in contect with the shiny metal parts of my case, which is an antec p160. I felt a mild, constant, shock. This only occurs after I select my boot option.

The most recent time it occured I got an error which looks similar to the following:

Stop C******
registry cannot load C:/*/*/*/*/system (I think)

beginning dump of physical memory

I wasn't able to copy down the whole thing before it rebooted. This was on a blue background. Asterisks represent unknowns.

I tried booting three times after this and did not receive a shock. It would go up to the boot selection menu but then fail to continue.

Any help would be apperciated.

Edit: Forgot specs.

My setup:
Abit IS7 (northbridge fan is dead)
pentium 4 2.4c oc'd to 3ghz
1gig of 3200 ddr (256 x4)
9800 pro 128 meg version

Second Post:

I took everything out, checked every wire for exposures and could find nothing.

I took out my mobo, unmounted it and proceeded to try to run it on a peice of bubble wrap.

Same deal is happening, I had to touch the part where the keyboard plugs into so I could well, plug it in. It was also delivering a mild shock. I touched each of the metal parts on my cards and they were delivering a shock.

None of that should be happening, right?

Reply:
Ummm, you mean the backplate?

Anyway, sounds like the electrical (wall) outlet is not properely grounded.

Fern

Third Post:

Ok, I moved the whole setup to a different outlet. Same deal is happening now, when I try to select a boot option it just freezes and doesn't even try to boot now.

If things were fried though wouldn't it not even post?

Edit: Surge protecter indicates a ground, pretty sure it did the same downstairs.

Although now I'm not getting shocked.

Think the system is fried?

Link to post:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=32&threadid=1688046&enterthread=y

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

Sounds to me like you need a new PSU

get an antec tru power 550 or enermax of about 500 or 550

I am shocked that little 160 got you as far as it has !!!! goes to show ya / the antecs aint no slouch !!!

check on ebay / you have even be able to pick up a real good used one cheap
antec or enermax only remember they are very high quality yet affordable definetly the best balance of the two (quality & cost)

regards

joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
linderman said:
Welcome to TSF:

Sounds to me like you need a new PSU

get an antec tru power 550 or enermax of about 500 or 550

I am shocked that little 160 got you as far as it has !!!! goes to show ya / the antecs aint no slouch !!!

check on ebay / you have even be able to pick up a real good used one cheap
antec or enermax only remember they are very high quality yet affordable definetly the best balance of the two (quality & cost)

regards

joe

I never mentioned my PSU, its a 450 watt Trupower if I remember correctly.

Edit: The case is an antec p160, not the psu. This computer also ran for near 2 years. Over a month at the, apparently, ungrounded location.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

First of all, make sure your wall plug is grounded properly or you could fry some parts. You can buy from almost any box store a little yellow three prong tester for less than three bucks that will tell you if the power is grounded properly. If it is not, don't use that plug.

That being said, I suspect that you have a short between something or something is delivering a short. Take it out of the case again and put it on a non-conductive surface (I use cardboard in my shop) and use only the motherboard, one stick of ram, the video card, the monitor, the keyboard and mouse, the off/on switch, the ATX 24 or 20 pin plug, the 4 prong square molex plug and nothing else. Turn it on and see what happens.

Report back with results and we will go from there. Oh, another thing, I read the thread and had the same idea that linderman had. Just appeared to me that you were trying to use a 160 watt power supply. Boy, did I misread that one, so do understand why linderman posted what he did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

First of all, make sure your wall plug is grounded properly or you could fry some parts. You can buy from almost any box store a little yellow three prong tester for less than three bucks that will tell you if the power is grounded properly. If it is not, don't use that plug.

That being said, I suspect that you have a short between something or something is delivering a short. Take it out of the case again and put it on a non-conductive surface (I use cardboard in my shop) and use only the motherboard, one stick of ram, the video card, the monitor, the keyboard and mouse, the off/on switch, the ATX 24 or 20 pin plug, the 4 prong square molex plug and nothing else. Turn it on and see what happens.

Report back with results and we will go from there. Oh, another thing, I read the thread and had the same idea that linderman had. Just appeared to me that you were trying to use a 160 watt power supply. Boy, did I misread that one, so do understand why linderman posted what he did.
I understood why he thought what he was saying. Hope I didn't come off snotty!

Anyways, I had already tried your recommendation and am still recieving the same error, think I'm pretty much screwed?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Couple of thoughts.

Have you tried clearing CMOS?

Are you still getting a shock when you put it back in your case?

Can you enter the BIOS setup menu?

Does the computer components feel hot?

Do you have another video card you can try?

Can you check (I know you have a good one) the voltages on each rail?

Can you get far enough to check the temps for the CPU?

Report back and we will keep looking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

Couple of thoughts.
/wave

Have you tried clearing CMOS?
Yes, nothing different.

Are you still getting a shock when you put it back in your case?
The shock left when I moved the computer to a different outlet, I have not put it back into its case.

Can you enter the BIOS setup menu?
Yes, I can.

Does the computer components feel hot?
I don't think its heat related. Which components would you like me to check specifically?
Do you have another video card you can try?
I believe so, I'll work on this and respond again. Edit: Although I don't have any display issues.
Can you check (I know you have a good one) the voltages on each rail?
I don't have a multimeter. Edit: Looking at the BIOS I think I found the rail voltage levels in the "PC Health Status" section. ATX +3.3V is showing as 3.23 V, ATX +5V is 4.91 V and ATX +12V is 11.79 V.

Can you get far enough to check the temps for the CPU?
Cpu temps are 40 at idle. (Obviously can't test load :)
Report back and we will keep looking.
Done and done. Thanks for your help.

Edit: To clarify. I'm reaching the boot selection menu with no problems, when I try to select an option it hangs and doesn't go any further. Previously it would rattle off the string of data before it would either hang or restart, now it just hangs when its selected.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Never give up.....well, not yet anyhow.

Do you have data that you can't lose on the drive?

Have you tried to reformat and reinstall the OS?

Have you tried the Repair option and does it do the same thing?

What hard drive? Sata, IDE, what configuration?

Has anything changed since this unit worked?

Have you taken a look at pointing a regular house fan pointing toward that northbridge area where that fan is dead?....those things get hot without a fan and can cause crashes.

You keep looking, I keep looking.....have a great evening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

Never give up.....well, not yet anyhow.

Do you have data that you can't lose on the drive?

Have you tried to reformat and reinstall the OS?

Have you tried the Repair option and does it do the same thing?

What hard drive? Sata, IDE, what configuration?

Has anything changed since this unit worked?

Have you taken a look at pointing a regular house fan pointing toward that northbridge area where that fan is dead?....those things get hot without a fan and can cause crashes.

You keep looking, I keep looking.....have a great evening.
I can't reach the command line interface so I can't reformate. But I'll find my windows cd to try the repair.

Some stuff I really don't want to lose, yes.

Hard drives are IDE, Western Digital 120gig 8000 rpm(I think). Models show under BIOS as WDC WD1200JB-OODUA3.

Edit: I also have all my important info on the second drive, so hopefully that still works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.