Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

This is my first post here, and I've got a bit of a problem. My desktop computer will be humming along just fine and at some random, undetermined time, it freezes. The hard drive stops making noises, but all fans keep spinning. The monitor stays frozen (doesn't go black) but nothing moves or works.

Initially I thought it was my CPU. The first 2 times it happened it appeared as though the CPU temp was pretty high when I immediatley restarted it was up close to 70 - 80 degrees C. SO, I replaced my CPU fan. Now CPU temps are just fine (30 - 35 degrees C). Still happened. So then I replaced my power supply. Brand new 500W power supply. Still happened. So then I checked the RAM. Still happened. (Note, I only have one stick though, so I did one of those thorough tests with a software MEM tester, couldn't switch sticks.) So then I put in a new motherboard. Still happens.

SO right now I hate my computer. :deveous: But anyway, anyone have any good ideas?

I'm running Windows XP Pro, have a 1800+ CPU running at only 1.6 mHz right now, one 512MB stick of RAM, 1 DVD/CD-ROM drive, 1 DVD RW, 2 hard drives, one with Windows one it, and one with all my files on it.

I'm thinking it could be either the CPU or the RAM, but I really have very very little and since I'm not sure which it is, I don't want to just go start buying new stuff.

TIA for any help.

- TreyDawg

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hey trey,

it could be a hardware failure indeed. check out www.majorgeeks.com and download memtest86 from the memory section. put the program on a cd and then bootup with it.

then memtest86 will begin testing out your ram for any errors. make sure to let the program run for a minimum of 10passes and see if memtest detects any errors with your ram.

you said that you replaced your power supply with a spare one. i know the power supply is 500watts but is it generic? i recommend good brands such as enermax, antec, and pc powercooling. they make really good power supplies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, its actually the coolest power supply I've ever bought. I bought it cuz I thought that was the problem. I forget what its called, but its got plug in power cables, so you only have the cables needed, its brand new. Yeah, that *shouldn't* be the problem. (Though, of course, ya never know.)

I'll try that program, and find out exact specs later today and let y'all know when I get home.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
have you tried updating your video card drivers

download sandra lite (free)
and post your system voltages while being worked hard i.e.
run defrag, anti virus scanner & spyware scanner all at the same time / after 20 minutes check and copy & paste you results in here

should post / system temps, cpu temps, system voltages

regards

joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will sandra lite give me system temps, etc.. too? I've been looking for a good free program to give me temps, volts, etc, and been having a bit of a hard time. I'll try that this evening too.

And my video drivers are up to date. (Or so I think, I'll double check for sure.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just downloaded it on my Dell Latitude 2200 (the only computer I have access to right now...) to see how it works. I can't get it to do anything. It says "Could not initialize database." Is there a help file somewhere or tutorial or something? Maybe I'm just dumb, but I'll keep trying. Thanks.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hmmmm that problem is a first / maybe a bad download / usually you dont have to do anything / it installs and loads like any other downloaded program
and easy as hell to use ????

try this one same type of monitoring and info prog / also free

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do you hear any noises from your HD before you computer freezes? Like a click, click, click sound? One thing that could cause your computer to freeze is a failing HD. It could lose power when your computer is on and then regain power which will cause your computer to freeze.

If you give a device power while your computer is on, it will freeze.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I've tried I think every step.

Here's my mem test. A total of 10 errors over 16 passes. Errors listed below: (Not all good, bad, error bit, and count lines were identical, so I only posted them once.)

Tst Pass Failing Address Good Bad Err - Bits Count

5 5 00004c17fa8 76.4MB efffffff ffffffff 100000000 1
5 5 00005c17fa8 92.4MB
5 5 00014100090 321.0MB
5 5 00015100070 337.0MB
5 10 0001647e868 356.0MB
5 10 0001747e848 372.8MB
5 10 00000028700 0.5MB
5 10 00000077be8 0.4MB
5 15 0000ee324a8 238.1MB
5 15 0000fe32488 254.1MB

I ran a Max Blast as both of my hard drives are Maxtor (well, the one is Quantum Fireball, which is now part of Maxtor...). There was one error on my secondary 80GB HD (which doesn't contain Windows, only files) and that was fixed.

I have heard a very few times a "clicking" noise coming from my computer, but not when it is about to or does freeze.

Here are the results of the Sandra Lite tests. The first set is after the computer was running memtest for approximatley 6 - 8 hours and then booted into Windows. I then put a heavy load on the computer and ran for about 15 - 20 minutes and reposted numbers.

"inital" readings "load" readings

Board Temp 25.0/77 25.0/77.0
CPU Temp 47.5/117.5 48.0/118.4
Power/Aux Temp 37.1/98.8 36.6/97.9

CPU Voltage 1.62V 1.62V
+3.3V 3.33V 3.33V
+5V 5.03V 5.05V
+12V 12.54V 12.54V

And here are a few more specs of my hardware specs:

AMD Athlon M8 Processor
1.61 GHz
Gigabyte 7DX Board (currently, was a PC Chips M810 before)
Radeon 9200 SE Video Card (updated drivers)
Quantom Fireball LM30 30GB HD (Master, has Windows and programs)
Maxtor 80GB HD (has 2 partitions, files)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, would you guys say the 10 errors in the RAM indicate a problem that would cause what I see? Or would it be something else?

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.