Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had a virus. I have a 2 year old HP. I can only get in safe mode... please let me know what is going on. There is three different languages at various times when we try to get online... my daughter has counted down how to get down to safe mode with networking...thanks for any help! I'm afraid of losing pictures etc...I tried to post pic's but can't as they are posted on the virus board of techsupportforum Please look at the link to see pictures what the computer is doing..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/hijackthis-log-help/292442-need-help-virus-they-closed-thread-i-couldn-t-get-online-post-2.html#post1822618

Kim :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you restart the computer it gives you an option of safe mode, safe mode with networking etc. My daughter has just counted down the last 2 months to safe mode with networking. It will also go in safe mode as they had me do a virus scan on this board in that format...

Wonder if I can copy the pictures, mail etc onto an external harddrive? I've got pictures of my Grandmother that has passed etc and am terrified of losing them :( Thank you for any help! Kim

·
Registered
219 Posts
O.k dont worry, even if somthing happens to your pictures, they would never truly be gone, when somthing is deleted, it is just marked as free space, so there are plenty of recovery tools on the net to recover deleted files. Still, it would be nice to be able to get them before that. So heres my idea:

Sounds like a virus, or a failling hard drive. Does your computer make a lot of ratteling noise or clunking? If not definetly a virus. If you have access to the files, copy them on to a thumb drive or external hard drive or whatever device you wish. If you cant find them, tell me I have a backup plan.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No noises at all... the fan was loud an Best Buy looked at it. They said it needed cleaned so my daughter opened it up and cleaned it vs them doing it.. the virus board said no virus. A trojan called gambania showed up but I guess it wasn't significant or they'd have told me to deal with it.... how can I tell which? Thanks Kim:sigh:

·
Registered
219 Posts
A trojan is trojan is a trojan. Someone over the net remote controlled your computer an probably deleted important system files. Can you or can you not access the pictures?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for blowing those up...I'm about to go online and attempt to get the stuff off onto the external hard drive.... Let me know when ya'll have an idea what it might be. I'll try to make more pictures. I had to go in with the warranty and them lie and say it's a virus like they did before to get out of fixing it :( Thanks Bill :) Kim

·
Registered
219 Posts
Billy3, yes i looked at the pics, a complex virus can infect the MBR effectively corrupting the OS. That screen appears to be an operating system not found error, in a different language. That occurs either with disk corruption or a corrupted MBR or OS. But yes you have a point, a virus probably could not cause lines on the screen at boot up, so maybe a power surge shorted some capacitors on her video card and mobo.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Ok guys, because this computer has irreplaceable pictures on its hardrive it should be taken to a local shop and slaved in a test bed to recover the pics. It would be hard to troubleshoot hardware problems and guarantee the pics to remain.

Directing the op at this point to slave the drive in another computer does not sound like a option at this point because she may not have the means or knowledge and could possible do damage to another computer.

When the data is safe the hdd should then have zero's written to it and the normal format and reinstall should be attempted and if that don't work out trouble shooting the hardrive along with some other things could be attempted

·
The Oddball Microsoftie
1,838 Posts
@Doby -- Agreed.
@GetOutOfBox -- If this was an MBR infection GMER would have found it. There is no MBR problem on this machine.

There is no error shown. It's the standard boot.ini menu to choose between windows and the recovery console. It should not be corrupted like that. Not even with mbr rootkit.

Billy3

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bill, I called AOL to see how to save personal filing cabinet. He claimed to know what was going on. He said it's an error in windows when the cache gets too full?? He said I'd have to reformat and reinstall windows. I checked and it does go to the windows screen but then we have to go in safe mode. Now it's just all 0's when we start the computer..Thanks for any help :( I don't know what to do now:( Kim

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,076 Posts
Follow Doby's advice and find a good local repair shop to get your pictures and data off the drive then if you wish take it in to Best Buy for warranty service or try to format and reinstall windows but I would get the data off the drive while there is still the possibility to do so by using a reliable repair tech.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.