Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post, so i hope im not asking any stupid questions. I have searched around a lot for a solution on the web but have only found a few people with simular problems and no real solutions. Here are the symptoms:

(1) Other Computers in my network cannot access my files, they can see the shared folder but get an error if they try to connect "check you have permission etc."
(2) If I open the network connections folder the computer freezes up, eventually loads to show an empty folder.
(3) If i run IPconfig i get this error:
"The procedure entry point HrIsIpStateCheckingEnabled could not be located in the dynamic link library netshell.dll"

However:
(1) My network cards are properly installed
(2) I can access the internet
(3) the other computers work the network fine
(4) I can access other computers on the network

More info:
I am XP SP2
Using Onboard Lan
Working through a Broad band router
All computers on my network are on XP.
This is a relitivly recent install, i cant be sure if it has ever shared files properly but untill now i had no reason to think it was wrong.

IF anyone has any ideas about what is wrong, how i can fix it that would be gr8. I want to avoid a completly new install if i can. HELP!

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
I picked this up off another web site. Give it a try:
1. Open Start, Run and type in

regsvr32 netshell.dll

2. Test your "My Network Places" Properties. It should work now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also don't forget to check the infamous Windows XP Firewall. If it's enabled it will effect sharing. You can do this through either control panel's firewall settings or the advanced tab on the network connection settings. To learn more about networking and troubleshooting you can check out CA World www.ca.com/caworld/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tryed that, i got this message:
---------------------------
RegSvr32

DllRegisterServer in netshell.dll succeeded

Tried Network Connections, still doesnt work. Any other ideas? I don't use windows firewall; i use zome alarm, i think its set up right i have it on other computers that work well. Im sure it must be windows :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
efigueroa said:
Also don't forget to check the infamous Windows XP Firewall. If it's enabled it will effect sharing. You can do this through either control panel's firewall settings or the advanced tab on the network connection settings. To learn more about networking and troubleshooting you can check out CA World www.ca.com/caworld/
LOL i just read this in detail, "advanced tab on the network connection settings." the chance to get that far would be nice.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
cellarmation said:
I tryed that, i got this message:
RegSvr32

DllRegisterServer in netshell.dll succeeded

Tried Network Connections, still doesnt work. Any other ideas? I don't use windows firewall; i use zome alarm, i think its set up right i have it on other computers that work well. Im sure it must be windows :(
Zone alarm will require you too add some items To the trusted zone before they will work. I could not access my Network drive without adding it.
Also if your drive is not Marked as shared in control my computer, open drive properties, open the shareing tab, check share this folder,in the folder box should be (C$) the name Default Share, and check Maximum allowed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The error is having to do with a dll file that is missing which makes that command work. You said this was a fairly recent install? I suggest doing a Windows repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.