Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see a very similar problem in a following thread, but I didn't want to hijack it so I made a new topic.

So I had a custom built machine (let's call it "custom") with the following specs:

AMD Phenom x4 965 (stock fan)
Corsair 650w PSU
Antec 300 case
12GB ram
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H motherboard
Sapphire Radeon 5770
Western Digital 320gb hard drive WD3200AAKS
DVD-RW

I wanted to upgrade the hard drive so I installed a Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB today (bought brand new from Newegg). Well, I plugged the computer back in and turned it on, but there was nothing. No POST, no beeps (no PC speaker), nothing.

I reconnected the original hard drive and disconnected the Samasung drive, no go. I then removed everything from the computer except the PSU, CPU, and motherboard with no change.

I tried both the motherboard display and video card display ports with no change.

I took out the CMOS battery and left it out for 5+ minutes before re-inserting with no success.

Computer powers on, all fans spin (including the CPU fan), but nothing shows up on screen. The hard drive light is solid for about 5-10 seconds before going dark.

I then decided to take the old 320GB hard drive and put in a 2nd back up computer (let's call it "compaq"). I installed the hard drive into the PC:

Athlon X2 4200+
Compaq Presario Box Computer
3GB ram
Gigabyte Radeon 4550
DVD-RW

This PC, which was working with a different Seagate 160gb drive just yesterday, but now would not POST with the 320gb I put in there. I would turn it on and there was nothing, no beeps, no POST. I then took out the 320gb and returned everything back to when the computer last worked and it's the same thing: power on, no POST.

I removed all components except motherboard, psu, and cpu. Still no POST, although all fans runs and LEDs light up.

What should I consider doing next to solve these issues?

I have taken the Western Digital drive originally in my custom PC and put it in a 3rd PC to get some data off of it. This 3rd computer booted fine and I was easily able to copy some data off the WD drive. I am dealing with all SATA drives.

I followed the basic computer troubleshooting guide with no luck and have tried all sorts of combination of components to no avail. My next step is taking out the motherboard and remounting.

Thanks for any help.

(I made a post over at Bleeping Computer that has more troubleshooting I did with someone else's advice: here but I wanted to see if there was more that I was missing.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought would be that you are somehow damaging the PC's when you have them open. Static would be my first thought.

Your best bet is to pull it all apart and test. > http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/how-to-bench-test-your-system-262998.html
I managed to get my custom build system (the one with the Antec case) POSTing again. Basically I removed everything from the PC except the PSU, case, motherboard, cpu, and one stick of RAM and I tried powering on. The computer still didn't post, but then I decided to hold the "reset" button and after a bit the machine rebooting and successfully completed POST with the BIOS appearing on screen. My only guess is that the reset button was stuck or I managed to recover the BIOS.

Sadly my Compaq PC doesn't have a reset button, so even after I pulled everything and tried booting with only the PSU, case, motherboard, cpu, and one stick of RAM, the Compaq still doesn't POST. My assumption is I somehow badly corrupted the BIOS and I need to find a way to correct it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.