Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Suspect my psu fried my motherboard.

My computer was just upgraded today. What I bought and put in place (ram and a new hard drive) is not an issue; My power supply has screwed up my motherboard.

I got a new tower, plugged everything in, and pressed the power switch. Nothing happened, but moments later I smelled burned rubber and frantically turned it off.

My new power supply fried my motherboard. I know this because while power was running, the fans wouldn't move at all unless I jiggled the power cable running to the motherboard.

I switched power supplies. Same thing with both of them. It appears that the damage has been done to motherboard itself where the power plugs in. The fans still moved a little bit, so I am hoping that the damage can be localised to where it just plugs in and am hoping that this damage can be repaired.

But, these are just hopes.

With your experience with power supplies and motherboards, what hope do I have? Do I have to buy a whole new motherboard?

The new power supply is 380w while my old power supply was 300. I assumed that they designed these things so that it just wouldnt go around frying things, but I'm probably wrong.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
very possible the mother board is gone
why dont you set it up outside the case on cardboard, and jump the on / off switch leeds with a paper clip to rule out a short.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.