Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I installed a DVD drive out of my 1-year-old Dell into my AMD rig. When I turned the computer back on it said "new device found" or something in a bubble over the toolbar so I thought it was fine. Anyhow only that second expansion drive is working and now the original DVD burner is not recognizing anything. It powers up and ejects and goes back in but the CD's wont play. When I go into "my computer" the new DVD drive is now my "E" drive and the "F" drive is the scan disk reader, it's clearly recognizing only one DVD drive. It has power going to it and that long strap that runs from the DVD drives to the motherboard is plugged into both drives real well. Do I need to set this up with some kind of installation wizard? Thanks all!

·
Registered
796 Posts
It could be the jumper settings on the CD-ROM drives themselves. I would make sure that both of the drives are set to cable select. If one of them is set to master and the other is set to cable select, it may not work. If both of them are set to master... it will not work either:

check this site for changing jumper settings:

http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cd.htm

Pay special attention to where they are showing you how to move the jumpers.

The drive should be up before it even hits windows, so if you don't see it in the BIOS (Hit del during bootup to get there), then it probably isn't going to work.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, I think I'll be able to figure it out with that link. I'm just dreading it because the wires for the power supply make working with the DVD drives a pain. Thanks for the link, happy new year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.