Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home for the summer and saw that my family screwed up our desktop computer again. We are connected to the internet through a cable modem(Roadrunner service). I know the problem isn't the modem because it is currently working as I am typing through my laptop which is hooked up to it. The desktop computer just seems to not recognize the connection. My 23 year old brother had instaled a new ethernet card thinking that was the problem but that didn't help. The problem started back in late July I am told, when my 14 year old brother tried to download files onto an XBOX Action Replay. He said he just restarted the computer and all of a sudden it had no connection. What do you guys think could be the problem? Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody got anything? should this be posted under a different topic maybe? If you need to know anything else let me know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi

It could be that TCP/Ip is corrupt. try removing all of your network cards and protocols and reinstalling them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would go to network neighbourhood uninstall tcpip reboot
go back to network neighbourhood install tcpip reboot
Any luck?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did uninstall and re-install tcp/ip and there is still no luck on the connection. Any other ideas?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team
10,822 Posts
Did you re-install the network cards? Did your brother move/add/switch out any cables? Is there a router involved?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you mean to physically re-install the cards? All I've tried is going to Network Neighborhood and removing the TCP/IP and then adding it back again. One of my brothers has wireless but unless he's home, there is no router. And the cords and cables are the same as they were.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It can't be an internet service problem because I am using the same cable modem to hook up to the internet on my laptop right now. The problem lays somewhere in the computer itself.

·
10,822 Posts
To remove the cards, go into the Device Manager to uninstall. Then reboot and let it re-install itself totally.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In your Network Connections, when you look at LAN, are there any alerts, such as a yellow triangle with an exclamation point?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK....maybe this is a big clue to why the internet is not working. I went to the device manager to remove the ethernet card from the device manager under the Network Adapter column but the ethernet card didn't even show up under it. There was 2 AOL Adapters, 2 Dial up Adapters and 1 Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter. It does show up as being installed under the Network tab of the Control Panel though as Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC. Does this help you see what my problem is?

·
10,822 Posts
Let's try this:

- Turn off machine.
- Physically remove the network card.
- Reboot the machine.
- Install the network card software using the CD it came with or the drivers downloaded from manufacturer.
- Turn off machine & re-install card.

Reboot and then report back on progress/success. Especially as it pertains to Device Manager. MAY have to install card software "manually".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok...I physically re-installed the card and everything. Turns out that the new card my brother had gotten hadn't been installed correctly. But even though it now is, I'm still not getting a connection. In Device Manager I can now view the new card, D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter under the Network Adapters category. I did notice that when I view devices by type and then switch to devices by connection, it doesn't show up under devices by connection. What would be your next step for me? I tried the WinSock Fix again but that didn't help anything either.

·
10,822 Posts
I did notice that when I view devices by type and then switch to devices by connection, it doesn't show up under devices by connection.
This is normal behavior.

Next things:

1) Control Panel/Internet Options - Check the LAN Settings under the Connection tab and make sure there is not a proxy set up. Remove any that are there.

2) If you haven't already done so, remove ALL of the XBOX stuff your 14 y/o bro put on the machine.

3) Post a HijackThis log here, which MAY have a clue to the connection issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
====================================================================
Log was analyzed using KRC HijackThis Analyzer - Updated on 8/4/05
Get updates at http://www.greyknight17.com/download.htm#programs

***Security Programs Detected***

O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 3:35:27 PM, on 9/18/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\WUAUCLT.EXE

O2 - BHO: AIM Helper - {D70E6A20-7060-4829-B3D7-B6624A1DE7C6} - C:\PROGRA~1\AIMTOO~1\AIMHEL~1.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: AIM Search - {40D41A8B-D79B-43d7-99A7-9EE0F344C385} - C:\PROGRA~1\AIMTOO~1\AIMBAR.DLL
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\PROGRA~1\AIMTOO~1\AIMBAR.DLL/aimsearch.htm
O12 - Plugin for .swf: C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\COMMUNICATOR\PROGRAM\PLUGINS\npswf32.dll
O12 - Plugin for .wmv: C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\COMMUNICATOR\PROGRAM\PLUGINS\npdsplay.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.e4me.com/start.html
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52...apple.com/qt505/us/win/QuickTimeInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {75D1F3B2-2A21-11D7-97B9-0010DC2A6243} (SecureLogin.SecureControl) - http://secure2.comned.com/signuptemplates/ActiveSecurity.cab
O16 - DPF: {0F9B4CA4-A30F-480A-841D-69B45C50A8F8} (SekureL0gin.SekureKontrol) - http://secure2.comned.com/signuptemplates/AktiveSekurity.cab
O16 - DPF: {4620BC29-8B8E-4F4E-9D92-1DB6633D6793} (SurferNETWORK Plugin) - http://rd1.surfernetwork.com/surferplugin.ocx

End of KRC HijackThis Analyzer Log.
====================================================================

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.