Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So--
I send the CPU back to AMD thinking its fried.... Its not!!!! Its actually fine. I felt really stupid when AMD told me that :)

So I put the CPU back into the board and its doing the EXACT same thing. The board is brand new too, only used with this processor.

What it does is:
--all the fans start
--all the drives start spinning
--no boot sequence starts (no bios, no speaker)
--all LED's light up

ALSO--
--I tried another power supply
--Tried removing RAM and booting (same effect)
--Also tried putting RAM in different slots (same effect)
--Removed ALL cards (even vid) and got the same effect

I considered puttin it on the other mobo, but AMD said a whole bunch of stuff about if i remove the heatsink I should reapply thermal paste and blah blah blah, so I was thinking not to mess with it.

After all this i think its the RAM, but I would like any other input I can.... thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry, I dont know what FWIW stands for...

Ok, so I tried a known dud chip in the mobo. The thing started burning... it was pretty funny actually, but doesnt that prove that the CPU is getting a signal, but obviously must be a bad chip if the computer won't start? Also, tried the board w/o a CPU and got the same results as with the CPU. Just need verification before I go spending the loot on it.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I think Johnwill might be saying FromWhatI've Witnessed (?) hehe..
anywyas... I would have to agree with John, it does sound like mobo gave up. If its a brand new motherboard, you might be able to take it back where you got it from and maybe get something else or exchange it.

by the way, AMD is telling you about thermal paste on your CPU due to the fact that AMD processors get so hot (when they work) they can heat up a small apartment. Heat is their enemy. I would listen. :winkgrin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.