Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i continually get the message of low virtual memory and i can figure out exactly what that means. ive looked in the help session and its too full of jargon for me to understand. how can i increase the amount of virtual memory and get computer running faster.

thanks in advance :grin:

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi

Delete all unnecessary trash off your computer (cookies, logs, histories, temps), make sure you have enough hard-drive space and then get into

My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance>Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change.

First check how much you have allocated to the main harddrive. Under "Custom Size" -- Initial Page File size is to be your total RAM number in Megabytes. Maximum size is however much you want and the lower your RAM the more you need. 1000MB on top of the initial size is enough if you have that much space and especially needed if you video edit and game. Press "Set" after you've set those values and OK.

That should be well now, but if it isn't be sure to report your total RAM and HDD space back.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Just to add to what has been said, Windows has a poor memory management system. It will always use virtual memory/paging file. It's used when there is no more RAM left to be used. It uses space on your hard drive in place of RAM, which will be much, much more slower. The read/write heads are retrieving and writing files to the hard drive and then the OS will request it's services and then the read/write heads race across the platter to do everything requested of it resulting in slow computer. The best thing to do is to stop any unnecessary processes and purchase more RAM.

Regards,

Brandon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.