Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the lowdown. When I turn my computer on the first screen appears(It says Gateway and gives me the option to f2 or f10 to BIOS before it restarts normally to WindowsXP)and that's it. The screen is frozen like that. It doesn't move on from it, and nothing I press, click, or kick makes it. I tried two different keyboards and pressed a plethora of buttons(f2, 10, ctrl-alt-s, ctrl-alt-esc, ctrl-alt-infinity. I checked all the cords, and even took the tower to a spare monitor I had and tried it there, it stayed the same. So I know it has nothing to do with the monitor. I have no idea what's going on, it's been like this for a few weeks. We can't afford tech support or a computer shop, nor have I ever updated the thing since I've gotten it. I don't really know any specifics on it, other than I got it in 2002 and it has a pentium 4, and runs Windows XP I think. and like 120 RAM.

Is it a virus?

Is it something it's gonna take a professional to fix?

I probably didn't give enough info, and since I'm at the library I can't really look up the specs right away. I'll write down what I know when I get home and come back tomorrow if anybody asked stuff. Please help.

·
UK
1,128 Posts
Hi

Tap your f8 key from start-up and try 'Last Good Configuration' when the menu appears.

If that doesn't help, boot into safe-mode and try a system restore:-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

If you have added or updated any drivers just prior to this happening, roll them back or uninstall them.

Go into your BIOS screen and check 'Restore Defaults' - save and exit.

Also, run Adaware-SE and any AV programs you have that will run in safe-mode.

Let us know how you get on.

Peter

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.