Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a new computer about a month ago. For some reason in the past 2 weeks It has been locking up every 20 minutes or so. It does it so much that I can barely even use it right now.

My Build:

Processor: AMD Phenom 9650
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
RAM: 2x 2gig Mushkin 996599
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT
Running Windows 7

Thing I have done so far:

-Tried running with RAM from a working build - Had the same exact problems
-Removed the Heatsink, Fan, and processor. Cleaned the heatsink/cpu completely and reattached using Arctic Silver.
- Reformatted completely and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I have noticed that when I first turn on the comp for the day it will run for an hour or two completely fine. Then after it freezes the first time it will do it a lot after that... within 10 minutes of each consecutive lockup. I have Temp monitors for the CPU and there is no spikes, and the heat is running at 29-30 so it's not overheating but, I feel like this should bea sign of something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Temperature monitors aren't always accurate, so you need to look in the bios for the Hardware Monitor and check the temps and voltages in there for accurate readings.

According to the BIOS

Vcore: 1.280V
DDR2 1.8V: 1.840V
+3.3V: 3.312V
+12V: 11.921V
System Temp: 28C
CPU Temp: 38C
CPU Fan Speed: 2129RPM
System Fan 1 Speed: 967RPM
System Fan 2 Speed: 1642RPM

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
See if you can find a friend to let you try another power supply in there and see if that helps. Or, if you have a Best Buy or Staples nearby, get a new one and see if it works, and if it doesn't, then return it for a small restocking fee.

We can't accept money here at TSF for assisting, but you are always free to donate to keep the forum working if you wish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See if you can find a friend to let you try another power supply in there and see if that helps. Or, if you have a Best Buy or Staples nearby, get a new one and see if it works, and if it doesn't, then return it for a small restocking fee.

We can't accept money here at TSF for assisting, but you are always free to donate to keep the forum working if you wish.
I just swapped Power Supplies with a friend who has a more power intensive computer than I do.

Still having the same exact issues, random lock ups. My power supply is running fine in his build.

Another theory bites the dust :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Have you tried using just one stick of ram? I had some issues freezing when trying to run SuperPi last week, happened in both xp and windows 7, which means hardware. Took out one stick, no freezes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After reading a lot of reviews on my Motherboard about how it has locking up problems, I think i am going to buy a new motherboard. Is there anyone who can point me in the direction a good one? I was looking at the Asus's on newegg in the sub 100 price range

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.