Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer used to be fine, but lately it's been lagging for unknown reasons. The first instance I realized this is when I was playing counterstrike and every couple seconds, my screen would skip. Like a lag spike every few seconds. The intervals between spikes were always consistent and would last quite a while (at least 10 minutes, if I even played that long because of the spiking).

I kind of guessed the reason to this is that something was running in the background, like a virus scan, but I haven't been able to find out if there is anything like that. Then I started to notice every time I play music with winamp, and then I open something else (internet explorer, dc++, photoshop, anything that takes a somewhat good amount of cpu usage) my music would start to skip and lag too. I don't know if these two problems are connected, but I used to be able to play music and open files (play games) at the same time fine.

So then I looked at the task manager and looked at the cpu usage %'s and everytime I open one of those "big" programs, the cpu usage % spikes to like 80 - 100% until it's opened.

I have no idea what's going on with my computer, I've been trying to fix it with spyware/adaware stuff, but they come out clean.

Please help?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
psicoazn said:
So then I looked at the task manager and looked at the cpu usage %'s and everytime I open one of those "big" programs, the cpu usage % spikes to like 80 - 100% until it's opened.
That's normal. There would only be cause for concern if your CPU usage was consistently high or if the program took an excessively long time to open.

If I were you, I would submit a HijackThis log to the HijackThis Log Help forum. The analysis there can comb through the log to see if you have anything suspicious running on your computer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.