Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Last week my Power Supply blew up. I think it is because of overheating. It has been used for more than 4 years, and before it blew up, the fan was giving noisy sound when first start computer. But if I shut down computer and then after a minute start it up again the noise dissapear. So I thought it was not a big deal until it blew up.

Anyway, after it went off, I replace the power supply with the new one, and also replace the fan for my processor to avoid having the same problem. However, after the repair, my computer started to lag when running program that needs more graphic, such as running movie or game or even when browsing. At first, I thought the problem maybe in the operating system (windows). So I reformat my hard disk and start a new clean install of every program I have. It helps a bit, but unfortunately the speed is not as fast as it used to be. When running movie or browsing internet, sometimes it halt for a second before continuing. When running game, it slows down when more units enter the fields (i figure more graphics calculation).

I have a few suspicions:
- could it be there is some content trap in the virtual memory when the computer crashed so that my memory can not be used to maximum now?
- could it be problem with the graphic adapter?
- could it be problem with the bios?

Does any of the above issue can be caused by computer crashing? How to detect it and how to resolve it?

Please help how to resolve this problem.

My computer specs:
INTEL Pentium4 - 2,4 GHz with 2GB DDRAM
Graphics RADEON 9200 SE
HD Maxtor 80 GB with 2 external HD
WinXp SP2

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
There's a few things that could of happened here, the main suspect is that your motherboard is somewhat semi-defective. If your PSU actually blew, it would of sent power surges through your machine which would affect ALL components, though whether all are defective is a different matter - it could be bad CPU, motherboard, hard drive, RAM or practically anything else.

I suggest you take it to a shop and have it looked at and tested.

You should check the power connections on your motherboard for any dark or black squares and also have a look for any capacitators that are 'bulging', this is a sure sign there are some issues there.

Regards,
Nick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I dont see any "bulging". The PSU blew inside it's box and so it didn't impact any other thing. But u could be right about the power surge. I took it to the shop at first and they told me replacing the PSU is enough. After all, I didn't notice it became lagging until I run some serious heavy-loading programs.

The power supply have no brand, just ordinary one, for both the original and the replacement. I think the power is enough since I'm not running many device on my computer. The M/B brand is ASUS, unfortunately I don't remember the motherboard type (i had it for over 3-4 years).

I sure wish I could check them out myself before I need to take it to the repair shop again.. so it would be fantastic if you could advice me on what are the steps I need to check in discovering the problem and finding the solution for this...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you speedster123..

there's only one yellow conflict mark in device manager, that is: PCI Modem. I am guessing this is the internal Modem on Board, which I dont' use. Because I'm using external Cable Modem.

I've run cpu-z as u adviced. Please find the result in the attachment. I think everything looks great.. Now I know that My MB is ASUS P4V8X-X ^^

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.