Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built a new computer with a nforce 680i motherboard, 8800GTX graphics card, BFG tech 800W PSU, Intel 8400 Core 2 duo and 4 gigs of ram in an antec 900 case.

Whenever i try to install windows, the computer just turns off in the middle of the install. As in it just turns off, no shutdown or anything, everything just dies.

Any idea as to why and how i can fix it?

· Registered
6,672 Posts
Hi Uncle Yang !

How many minutes remaining in the installation process when the computer turns off ?

First thing to check would be the hardware : enter the BIOS and check your temps, fan speeds and voltages. Report them here. See if your CPU and RAM are supported by your motherboard : check the memory QVL and BIOS release notes. Update the BIOS to the latest revision.

Tell us more about your system : brands and models of the motherboard, video card, hard drives, CD/DVD drives, PCI cards and RAM. Check the posting system specs link in my sig.

Use at least an XP SP2 CD to install, you can slipstream the latest service pack on your original SP1 or pre-SP1 CD :
Slipstream SP2
Slipstream SP3 (needs an XP SP1 or SP2 CD to start the slipstreaming process)

Unplug all devices that are not needed during the installation, leave only the system drive, CD drive, video card and one ram stick in the DIMM1 slot. Use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse. Unplug all other drives, pci cards and external devices. You can install them one at a time once Windows is installed.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, ive gotten past install and everything. everything runs smoothly about 20 - 25 minutes into the system being on

at about 20 minutes the system either turns off completely or the video and audio cuts out and my friends on TS tell me that i log on and off sporadically for about 10ish seconds before i hit the reset button.

what should i do now? i already have SP2

· Registered
6,672 Posts
If the problem always happens after a given time whatever you do it's probably overheating or a failing power supply. Tell us about your voltages in the BIOS as soon as you can.

53°C in the BIOS seems high for a core 2 duo with a 65W TDP but dai will know more. What thermal paste did you use ?

Download and install speedfan and tell us what temps and voltages it reports within Windows.

Tell us more about your system : brands and models of the motherboard, video card, hard drives, CD/DVD drives, PCI cards and RAM. Check the posting system specs link in my sig.

Install all the latest drivers for your hardware and all the latest critical updates from windows update.

Try another power supply, stick with good brands like Antec, Seasonic or Corsair, and see how it goes : http://www.techsupportforum.com/f210/power-supply-information-and-selection-192217.html

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CPU Core - 1.11V
CPU FSB - 1.18V
Memory - 1.85V
+3.3V - 3.26V
+3.3V Dual - 3.26V
+12V - 12.08V
+5V - 4.96V
+Vbat - 3.00V

ok, heres my system specs

nforce 680i sli motherboard
1 geforce 8800GTX graphics card
3.00Ghz 8400 Core 2 Duo

anyways, heres an update to the problem itself: The computer now turns off at any random moment but tends to be later than 20 minutes...so it lasts longer now at least...haha

btw, thanks for all the help offered so far, i appreciate it greatly

· Registered
6,672 Posts
Random crashes can also be caused by a faulty ram. Download, unzip and burn memtest86+'s bootable .iso image file using a burning software that can handle .iso files. Enter the BIOS at startup and set the boot priority to CD-rom first. Boot on the CD, leave memtest run overnight and report if it finds any error.

Also test the system drive for errors : start => run => chkdsk c: /R. You'll be prompted to restart the computer. Tell us about the scan's results.

The voltages in the BIOS seem ok but as dai said your BFG power supply is not a very good quality one (it's manufactured by topower which made crappy power supplies in the past). See if you can get your hands on another 800W power supply to test your computer with it.

Install Speedfan and check that the voltages remain stables within Windows. If the +3.3, +5 or +12V line fluctuate then you'll know you'll have to get a new power supply.

The system specs you provided don't tell us much. nForce and GeForce are not the brands, it only means that your motherboard and video card have nvidia chipsets. Look on the hardware parts themselves or on the box they came in (brands are XFX, eVGA, Gigabyte, Asus, Asrock, ... for instance). We also need to know about your hard drives, CD drives, other PCI cards and RAM. If you have 3 PCI cards and 4 hard drives it'll add to the load on the power supply.

Please click on the posting system specs link, install the free everest version, create a .txt hardware report using the report wizard and attach that file to your next post using the manage attachments button (lick on post reply or on go advanced). This will tell us all there is to know about your hardware.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.