Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago I was switching USB cables and all the sudden I noticed my computer was shut off. Now I can't imagine that switching USB cables would have caused the problem, so I am assuming it is a coincidence. Anyway, when I turned my computer back on it only stayed on for 10-20 seconds the shut off again. It did display a screen stating something about improper shut down. Well in my frustration I attempted to turn my computer back on many times. I selected to start windows normally and got to the login screen and selected shut down. Another time I made it to the desk top, but I was only there for a few seconds before it shut off again. So after these multiple attempts to get my computer back up, it now will only stay on for a couple of seconds before shutting off. I am afraid that by trying to power it back up over and over that I may have caused even more damage.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to why my computer will not stay on, I would greatly appreciate any information you may be able to provide.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got it fixed... It supposedly was the plastic fan mount that broke and caused the computer to overheat and the sensor kept shutting off my computer. The strange thing is that even after the computer sat overnight, it still was doing the same thing. My only concern now is that the fan is not working at all. I have only had it back for a day, but I haven't heard the fan kick on, and I don't remember hearing it before the computer broke either... Is there a way to find out if your fan is working.

Thanks again for your support!

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts
What fan? All fans should be operable when the PC is powered on and all fans should be visible with the case side removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.