Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My PC is,...
Dell XPS 8930 tower, Win 10 Pro, with all latest updates and latest drivers.
Running good, except that the Upload speed is throttled by my PC tower, somewhere for last week,…..
and can’t figure it out,… what does it,….. what " Network settings" have changed / where is the Block/throttle ,....
Computer thoroughly checked and scanned by Dell support assist program and no hardware or software errors, In Tune performance or Optimization issues,.....also checked in chkdsk or sfc /scannow no errors. Also refreshed network,… Also now removed even the Dell support assist program,......
Played with different Ethernet wires, rebooting with routers many times,.. finally inserting the Home’s incoming ethernet wire ( from basement, black Verizon box ) directly into back of PC, still same results,…
So,... Router/modem or connecting wires is not the cause/culprit,…

Verizon internet speed bought, is 300/300.
But the speed getting is somewhere 280 download and 0.7 to 1-3 in upload. ( pictures attached )
Upload speed is throttled somewhere in the PC tower. ( Network settings or Virus )
Refreshed network and did all possible reboots and such,…
Measured speed on all different sites like,….. Verizon, Comcast, Speedtest.net, speakeasy.net,.. same results,….
Can't upload any pic/vdo to email/Whatsapp/facebook,.. or anywhere
If router and Modem ( both in one piece - G1100 Verizon Modem ) is completely avoided and Ethernet wire from the black box of Verizon from basement is directly inserted into PC, then even same results,…. So it’s not problem of Router/modem,… PC’s Network features/virus/settings/tuning/performance/Optimization is doing it,…..
Verizon Tech guy came home,… Checked the speed with his cell/meter/program at three diff locations
  • At and inside his basement box of the black box connecting from there
  • At the end of Ethernet wire which you are ready to feed to any router/modem, at that point,..
  • At the outlet of Router/modem ( outlet of Router-Modem feed ) when that feed is ready to feed any devices you want like PC/TV/VOIP phone piece,..

It was above 300 speed at all locations, so he left, and the problem still persists, as he said,.. it's yours PC tower’s network settings/ features/ computer is doing it,….….

and he said we are fine from Verizon at our end ,.. yours PC and it’s yours Computer tower problem and he went away,…

What kind of Network settings/ Virus/Blocking/Throttling is doing this ?

I have NO anti virus, Adobe, Norton, ASC, Spybot SD or any kind of third party software in my PC except Dell Support assist of Dell’s own. ( I now removed that too ) My PC has only its windows firewall and Windows defender kind of default’s of Microsoft’s own programs,…..and nothing else,..

Please advise.

------------------

Attachments

· Registered
5,890 Posts
First, I'd reinstall the Network driver.

Downloading the network driver
  1. Turn on your computer.
  2. Go to www.dell.com/support.
  3. Click Product support enter the Service Tag of your computer and click Submit.
  • NOTE If you do not have the Service Tag, use the auto-detect feature or manually browse for your computer model.
  • Click Drivers & downloads > Find it myself.
  • Scroll down the page and expand Network.
  • Click Download to download the network driver for your computer.
  • Save the file, and after the download is complete, navigate to the folder where you saved the network driver file.
  • Double-click the network driver file icon and follow the instructions on screen.
If this doesn't do anything then you may have a hardware problem with your Ethernet adapter. Is your router a WiFi router? According to Dell, the 8930 has a M2 WiFi card and internal antenna. Try connecting via WiFi and see what upload speeds you get.

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ Per your ( MPR ) post,.....I run always wired to wired connection,
also in this case even by inserting the Verizon's black box wire directly to the back of PC can't solve the problem.

Nonetheless, I found these suggested items ( For my Dell XPS 8930 ) having Network written in it,...
Now confused which one I need,.

Attachments

· Registered
5,890 Posts
Did you enter your service tag number? This will tell Dell the exact configuration you have and allow you to download the correct driver. Dells come in several configurations for the same model. The service tag is located on a label on your computer or in its BIOS.

You can also go to the Device Manager and see what Ethernet adapter you have.

You can also let Dell check for you via the check for updates link.

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All 27 Diagnostic tests, for hardware testing ( 10+ min. ) by "dell support assist" also on their Dell's web site, it was recommended, been passed,.....
Dell web site also recommended one urgent Network driver updatation installation,.. which is done.
By Reinstalling "Dell support assist program", again it suggested a 95 MB Ethernet Network drivers installation which is done too,....
NO luck, problem, as it is.
I guess somewhere Windows firewall or Network settings restriction is doing it.
1. How to check network settings each features/settings in windows, minutely ?
2. How to do diagnostic's , a detail test only, in network realted area by " Dell diagnostic "after pressing F12 at rebooting ??

Attachments

· Registered
5,890 Posts
It looks like you have a critical BIOS update that was just released. According to the info it addresses several security issues so probably should be installed. I'd do this and then reboot your computer. After which I'd install the Network driver that's sixth on the list. There is a WiFi Driver that's marked critical too that I'd consider installing. All of these have come out since your computer was shipped in 18 JUL 2018.

· Registered
5,890 Posts
I guess the next step is things are still slow is to see what services are slowing down the Internet traffic. One called cFosSpeed is part of a traffic shaper program that many OEM computers have installed and is known to cause upload speed problems. Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and see if the problem persists.

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thx for your above prompt replies and help
and I will keep in mind definitely, if smthg happened in similar to that,...and needed to clam down fire wall or to run PC in safemode,.. etc. ..... good links,..
I always save my threads for future reading, about what was discussed, when similar happens,..

I think, my problem is solved,.....
By the way,...... My PC was just built around 45+ days ago, from scratch ...on a new PNY SSD drive,... when my old SSD had failed,...updating Dell suggested BIOS.

Manual Dell drivers updating this time also did not help and dunno why but day by day
I am losing faith on whenever Dell suggests some drivers,...... like last time BIOS update under critical had burnt me as it had changed the Sata operation ... ...

All I did was,...... having Pro lic. code for driver Booster, installed it again on PC,.... it found two related things needed,
similar but with some different number/desc,.....
I Installed. Prob. solved.

Suffered for past few days, I made useless Trip for Verizon guys to my home,...though, they changed the box in basement to black box ( from white ) which was 14 around yrs old, anyway,...

=======
First three pics shows, the attempts did NOT work ( PC was rebooted every time )
( Pics 4, 5 ) Driver Booster, by its own,... found two thingies - Bingo. Prob was solved.

Attachments

· Registered
5,890 Posts
I'm glad you figured things out. I'm a little confused though as that driver your program found appears to be a WiFi driver. I thought you were connected via an Ethernet cable? Did you switch to WiFi? Anyhow, your download and upload speeds seem to be excellent now so I wouldn't change anything. Happy computing!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts