I have just built a new pc, spec as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 4600+ X2 Socket AM2 Dual-Core OEM Processor
Speeze SP742B3 CoolKing 754/939/940 Coppercore - Ball bearing CPU Cooler
Asus M2N-E Socket AM2 NF570ULTRA Audio Lan USB2 2000FSB SATA ATX
motherboard
WD Raptor WD740DFD 74GB SATA 10KRPM 16MB Cache - OEM Harddrive
Connect 3D X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 DVIx2 VIVO PCI-E
HiperLink PSU Extension - 2x 2 Molex to 1 PCI-E Converter
Extra Value Black/Silver Gladiator Mid Tower Case - With 500W PSU and 12cm Front Fan
Kingston 1gb DDR2 800mhz/PC2-6400 Non-ecc CL5 memory.
Windows XP Pro

Does anybody see any hardware problems here?

Instead of loading the graphics card drivers from the disc, I went on the net and downloaded the latest drivers.

The problem: The computer seems fine when in windows, browsing and downloading, doing normal tasks. When I load up a game (so far I have tried Flight Sim X, GT Legends and TOCA 3), it will run for a few minutes then the whole thing just switches itself off. No shut-down, no reboot, just instant 'off'!

Firstly I thought it was a power problem, but I have a 500W. Then i thought the graphics card was not getting enough power, so I connected both power leads. The problem is still there.

Could the processor be overheating? How do I find out?

I have now removed all the ATI drivers and have tried installing the drivers from the disc. However it wont let me. It is asking for AGP drivers. This seems irregular as its a PCI E card!

Sorry for the long post!
Anybody have any ideas? All thoughts will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
A few questions:
Did you use a thermal pad or artic 5 thermal compound?
Is the cpu fan blowing down onto the cpu?
What case fans do you have?
Go into your device manager and check for yellow alerts
Device manager>click view>click show hidden devices
What brand power supply is installed?
Did you run the game with the side off and a fan blowing in..to eliminate heat as an issue?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answers

Did you use a thermal pad or artic 5 thermal compound? I think it was the compound. The stuff between the cpu and the cpu fan right?

Is the cpu fan blowing down onto the cpu? Will have to check it, should it be?

What case fans do you have? I have a 12cm at the front sucking in, a 12cm and an 8cm at the back blowing out.

Go into your device manager and check for yellow alerts
Device manager>click view>click show hidden devices

What brand power supply is installed? Unknown, it came with the case, so I suspect its a cheap n nasty one.

Did you run the game with the side off and a fan blowing in..to eliminate heat as an issue? Not yet, will give it a go tonight.

Could it be the drivers? Why is the ATI driver disc asking me for an AGP driver first?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Is there any yellow alerts in your device manager?
Do you have you ram voltage set for 1.9 volts?
Apparently, this board is picky on the ram selection, it needs to be on the qvl list. And the bios needs to be updated.
Read the reviews Here

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi,

The HSF should be blowing down on the CPU. Also, use SpeedFan to check the temps and voltages, and post them here. PSUs that come with cases are for the most part low quality, so a bad PSU is definitely a possibility.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are no yellow alerts in the device manager.
How do I set the ram voltage?
SpeedFan says:
Temp 1:30C
Temp 2:28C
Temp 3:-4C
HDO: 27C
Temp 1: 40C
Core: 17C

Vcore1: 1.25V
Vcore2: 3.20V
+3.3V: 0.00V
+5V: 4.81V
+12V: 11.65V
-12V: -16.97V
-5V: -8.78V
+5V: 4.76V
Vbat: 2.99V

The power supply is a WIN POWER - PSN 500P

I still have no clue whats going on!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Ok, i've had the side of the case off with a big desk fan blowing in, so I dont think that its a heat issue with the CPU. I think that its
a) either the power supply not being able to handle the amount of power the graphics card uses
b) faulty or incorrectly set up ram
c) or the graphics card is screwy!

Can anyone tell me how to set the RAM voltage? Does anyone know if WIN POWER have a bad reputation for power supplies?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
More than likely you need a supply. Check the calculator and tutorial in my signiture. Winpower is subpar, to say the least.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Psu

The power supply calculator shows that I will be using 439W. If the power supply cannot handle the extra power that the graphics card is requiring would it just switch off? Would it not just catch fire? Or at least smoke a little bit? I just find it odd that its switching itself off, is this a safety mechanism?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
what do you mean by this
[i thought the graphics card was not getting enough power, so I connected both power leads.]
some cards have 2 different power connectors,so if you don't have one available you use the other

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had this exact problem recently after installing a new PC case, the PSU that came with the case was flimsy and couldn't handle it when playing games so it just completly shut my system down and rebooted.

The cheap PSU's are cheap for a reason it seems, after buying a new quality PSU yesterday, the problem has gone away and everything is running smoothly.

Are you from the UK? If so I can recommend a good place to buy a new PSU if you like..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Firstly thanks for all the feedback!

Secondly how do the Speedfan readouts look? I havent got a clue what the voltages should be, and all the temp 1's etc has baffled me also!

I'm beginning to think that it may NOT be the PSU. In the previous thread you said you had the same problem but it shut down and rebooted. Mine is NOT rebooting. It just switches off and stays off. I have a friend who is running a similar system and he got the cheapest 500W PSU he could find and his has no problems.

Does anybody know if a faulty power supply would just switch everything off as a safety device? Would it not just blow up and then not work again?

I am beginning to think that maybe its the ASUS motherboard, because a few people have said they're rubbish. Can anyone back this up, or disagree? Has anyone had ASUS problems before?

Or maybe the graphics card is to blame. Does the graphics card or the PCI-E port have to be setup manually from bios?

Why didnt I just go to Dell?!!!

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Yes, PSUs will switch off. PSU error checking 101: A PSU is always checking its power output and sending an "OK" signal called a Power_Good signal to the motherboard. This signal must be maintained for the PSU to supply power. If the PSU fails its internal tests, then the Power_Good signal is stopped, and even if it is only for less than a second, the system will shut down as a result.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.