Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried installing a second hard drive on a computer, after trying to get the bios to recognise it, I gave up and unplugged it from the computer. (Long story, but the drive appears to be dead). But now the computer won't start at all.

There cord that goes into the power supply has power (used a volt meter to test), but when I try to turn it on nothing happens. There are no lights, no fans, nothing. :cry:

It is an old computer, PIII, maybe 6 years old (or more).

What's happened? Have I killed the power supply? Is it something simpler? Any ideas.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Sure sounds like the power supply went out on you. A new one ewould be a good place to start. You might want to get a little larger one if you have added devices to the computer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hazzie said:
I tried installing a second hard drive on a computer, after trying to get the bios to recognise it, I gave up and unplugged it from the computer. (Long story, but the drive appears to be dead). But now the computer won't start at all.

There cord that goes into the power supply has power (used a volt meter to test), but when I try to turn it on nothing happens. There are no lights, no fans, nothing. :cry:

It is an old computer, PIII, maybe 6 years old (or more).

What's happened? Have I killed the power supply? Is it something simpler? Any ideas.

Thanks for any help.
If there is no power at all try the fuse in the plug. Failing that try these steps

1-Verify that this is a No POST Situation.
2-Unplug the power cable from the back of the system.
Press and hold the power button for (ten) 10 seconds to discharge remaining power.
Once the power cable has been removed, toggle the red voltage selector on the back of the system.
Ensure that the final voltage is moved back to its original setting:
For the AMERICAS, the final voltage should be 115V.
For EMEA, the final voltage setting should be 230V.

3- take out the memory and see if the pc boots.

4- Unplug the external power cord from the back of the system.
Wait 15 seconds for the flea power to drain.
Reseat the ATX 20 pin and the 12V 4 pin (2 black and 2 yellow) to the motherboard.
Reseat the motherboard power dongle (two connectors, one 24pin, and one 20 pin) to the power supply.
Reseat the I/O panel cable on the motherboard and I/O board.

5- Unplug the external power connector from the back of the system and press the power button for 5 seconds to discharge remaining power.
Remove all expansion cards from the system.
Remove riser from the system.
Unplug all data cables from the motherboard, including hard drives and floppy drive.
Unplug all power connections to the drive.
Remove all memory from the system.
Reseat CPU(s).
Connect the power cable and power the system on.
If the pc gives any bleeps before post (Power on self test )
this link will help you with the beep codes
http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/

Thats what i can only offer you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help

Thank you for your suggestions shadow121 and terrister. After trying them out, with no success, I realised it was beyond hope and money would have to be spent. I got a new PSU, and now all is back up and running.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hazzie said:
Thank you for your suggestions shadow121 and terrister. After trying them out, with no success, I realised it was beyond hope and money would have to be spent. I got a new PSU, and now all is back up and running.

No worries mate, glad to see u up and running

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.