Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
My brother recently built a computer for me, and we have run into what seems to be a major problem. It seems like my computer "hiccups". For a brief moment, my computer will freeze, and there will be a very odd sound coming through the speakers.
here is my build
Running Windows 7
Power Supply - Antec 650 Watt
mb - asrock p67 extreme4
graphics card- GTX560ti
RAM- Corsair XMS3 ddr3 8gb
Heatsink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 1 tb 32mb cache, 7200 RPM
Processor - Intel core i5
(If I am missing any parts that are important, please let me know, I am not super computer savvy, but I do understand most of the basics.)
Here are the things I have done to try and fix this problem that is plaguing my system. Virus Scan Reinstall Windows Reslot the ram Reslot the graphics card Reset the motherboard to factory settings by changing the pins from 1,2 to 3,4, then back to 1,2.
None of these seem to have fixed the problem. If you guys have any suggestions at all, I would appreciated it completely.
One last weird piece to the puzzle. Today around 1 is when I changed the pins on the motherboard. The problem didn't start up until around 11 O'clock, the computer has been on the whole time. I played a couple games of starcraft and borderlands with no problems. I was watching an episode of game of thrones, plugged my ipod in, and about 10 minutes later started to experience the problem. I am not sure if it's related to that at all.
Again any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Edit: if I'm in the wrong forum, if you could send me to the correct one i'd really appreciate it.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Your PSU is underpowered for the GPU. You need a good quality 750W minimum for the 560 ti.
What are the specs on the 8GB of RAM? Problems with 4GB sticks are not uncommon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. So the hiccups are a sign of not having a big enough power supply? I will take it back to the micro center then. Anyways, i'm not sure what specs you're looking for on the ram. I only have the box left, it says " Corsair DDR3 8gb XMS3 Dual Channel Processor". It supports both i5 and i7, and they're 2 4gb sticks. 1600 c9 Dimm ( not sure what that means)

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I don't know if the PSU is the total problem but it is underpowered.
2X4GB was what I was looking for on the RAM. Problems with 4GB sticks are not uncommon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.