Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm having some computer issues and this looked like a good community to get some advice.

Okay, so here's whats going on. Most of the time my computer POSTs and boots up just fine. However, sometimes my computer takes a while (~1 minute) to POST then, after finally POSTing, it tells me that my system is in safe mode and I should check the CPU and memory timings in the BIOS. I then go into the BIOS, change nothing, and my system works fine.

This went on for a few weeks, but I ignored it since it wasn't a big deal. Then my computer started not POSTing. I moved my stick of RAM into another slot then it started working fine. Now I've started seeing the same slow POST problem again.

My computer is quite new, I ordered the parts from NewEgg and put it together in September. I can't remember when I first started seeing the problem, but I haven't made any hardware changes since first assembling it.

Motherboard: Asus P5ND2-SLI
RAM: 1 stick of 1 GB Kingston DDR-667
PSU: 430 W Thermaltake

I've got a couple of ideas lined up for the culpret:
1) Bad RAM
2) Bad Mobo
3) PSU is too weak (don't think so)
4) Battery is bad (doubt it)

So what I'm wondering is:
1) Will this problem get worse?
2) How can I fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF: :wave:

your PSU is really weak for your rig. I would strongly suggest you upgrade your unit to either the Antec Trio Rail 550 watt or Trio Rail 650 (better yet) PSU the 550 can be bought for $85.00 after rebate and the 650 watt is $109.00 AR

download memtest86.com (free) then test for memory with that for a minimum of 4 hours

post back the results of memory test

chances are the weak PSU is harming your ram!

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
i agree questionable brand and 200w underpowered
pcie
single card 24a min on the 12+ line
dual 36a min on the 12v line

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try memtest86 tomorrow. I can't get a blank CD for the ISO until tomorrow.
So you guys think the PSU is too weak? Just so we're clear, I have an SLI motherboard, but I'm only using one Video Card. It's a NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GT by PNY. I'm not using the SLI feature, so I when I bought everything, I thought 430W would be fine.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Thermaltake is not a good quality PSU maker I am afraid. They just recently came out with one decent product line that is well made, unfortunately there are no 430 watt units in that series, even though they make a decent series of units now I still would not reccomend them to potential buyers, IMHO they have just plain made way to many clunkers to be trusted.

will await the results of memtest for further discussion

as for SLI; yes we understand you are not running a dual video card configuration, if you were your needs would be in the 600 watt units and you would not have gotten this far! :4-thatsba

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, just ran Memtest. Nifty stuff. Anyway looks like my RAM is in good shape. Here's what I had after I stopped running it.

WallTime: 4:03:25
Cached: 1024M
RsvdMem: 276M
MemMap: e820-Std
Cache: On
ECC: Off
Test: Std
Pass: 12
Errors: 0
ECC Errors:

So what does this all mean? Does it still look like a weak PSU?
Thanks.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
weak PSU

I would look at the antec Trio 650 watt (if you have an hardware upgrades on the horizon) otherwise the Antec Trio 550 watt (trio sereis only)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.