Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What I'm running:
8 Gigs of DDR3 1600 ram (though it's running at 1333)
Asus M4A77TD Motherboard (the regular version not the pro)
Gigabyte 260 GTX Super overclocked edition (GV-N26SO-8961)
Amd 965 Quad Core processor
Thermaltake 750 Watt Toughpower W0229RU
Windows 7 64-Bit Pro

All of it's about a month old or less.

It only seems to freeze when my computer isn't under load. If i'm playing a game that taxes the system, it's fine. It just freezes and a weird buzzing sound comes out of the computer. I have to hit the reset button or hold the power button and boot back up. The freezes other then occurring during light use are random. The temps are 32 C for the CPU and 46 C for the graphics card during idle or light use.

-Bios is up to date.
-Memtest+ has been ran through a full cycle, no errors.
-Windows 7 has all the major updates except a few optional ones like Microsoft Silverlight.
-Oh and all the drivers are up to date, according to windows 7.
-I installed a Cac Card Reader recently, however, I don't think that is the problem, because it hasn't occured while I'm using it. I could be wrong though, certainly wouldn't be the first time :laugh:.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts
Find out where the buzzing is coming from. Open the side of the case and then do something that taxes the system. When it starts buzzing, check to see where the noise is coming from - DO NOT stick anything inside the case while it's powered on!!!

Try running these 2 free stress tests:
Try this free video stress test: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
- Click "Quit" to exit
Try this free stress test: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
Prime95 Setup:
- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select "Just stress testing"
- select the "Blend" test. If you've already run MemTest overnight you may want to run the "Small FFTs" test instead.
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History
Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.

·
Banned
365 Posts
It only seems to freeze when my computer isn't under load. If i'm playing a game that taxes the system, it's fine. It just freezes and a weird buzzing sound comes out of the computer.
--------------------------------

The 'weird buzzing sound' that you mentioned, often comes from an 'overloaded' power supply.

Although 750W should be more than enough for your system (unless you are highly overclocked), and Thermaltake is a good, reputable manufacturer, you may have just got one of the rare 'bad' power supplies. It can happen, even on a 'brand-new' unit.

Try another known-good power supply in your system, if you can 'borrow' one, and see if that fixes your problem. I often do this (try a known-good power supply) in a system that is having 'weird' problems, and it's amazing how often a (seemingly totally unrelated) problem is fixed, just by changing out the power supply, with one that you know is good!

Art

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The buzzing sound is not coming from the power supply. The sound is coming from the speakers because i unplugged the speakers and it stopped.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I'm not over clocking anything. The graphics card is over clocked, but it's a factory over clock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Gah, meant to say it doesn't freeze under load, but does freeze if i'm just doing light work, like surfing the web. I played dragon age origins a good amount of the night last night and nothing.

My 2 questions are, could this be a hard drive issue and could this be a 64-bit issue.

Also sorry for the triple post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got the same issue. Had it for about a month. Fortunately I have a few extra parts around. I was able to swap out the video (made sure I had the latest drivers) and power supply. I've ran a memory test twice and pulled the various sticks out in an attempt to see if any one stick was bad. I've reinstalled the game and directx but still have the freeze and buzz. I can usually play for about 30 minutes before it goes. System config: Windows 7 64bit, Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz with 4GB of memory, Nvidia 9800 GT (512mb) 650 watt power supply. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got the same issue. Had it for about a month. Fortunately I have a few extra parts around. I was able to swap out the video (made sure I had the latest drivers) and power supply. I've ran a memory test twice and pulled the various sticks out in an attempt to see if any one stick was bad. I've reinstalled the game and directx but still have the freeze and buzz. I can usually play for about 30 minutes before it goes. System config: Windows 7 64bit, Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz with 4GB of memory, Nvidia 9800 GT (512mb) 650 watt power supply. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
What motherboard do you have and what brand of ram? Also what is the ram clocked at? If you need any help finding any of that out let me know. Though, depending on how long it takes you to reply I may be unable to reply because I'll be in a spot with no internet. Though I'll try to get on now and again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What motherboard do you have and what brand of ram? Also what is the ram clocked at? If you need any help finding any of that out let me know. Though, depending on how long it takes you to reply I may be unable to reply because I'll be in a spot with no internet. Though I'll try to get on now and again.
The motherboard is an Asus P5LP-LEHP. Memory: 2 1GB sticks Patriot DDR2 333mhz and 2 1GB sticks Hyundai DDR2 266mhz.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The motherboard is an Asus P5LP-LEHP. Memory: 2 1GB sticks Patriot DDR2 333mhz and 2 1GB sticks Hyundai DDR2 266mhz.
Hmmm... I don't know the Hyundai brand. I know you said you tried it with different combinations of ram, but have you tried it with just the two Patriot sticks. If you haven't, give it a shot, because like I said I've never heard of Hyundai ram and even so having the two sets of ram that are supposed to be running at different frequencies can mess things up.

Is this your motherboard? You may have to scroll down a bit to get to the pictures.http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864946&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3377270&lang=en#

If that is your motherboard, is your cases one of the little thin or mini cases that HP was making for a while? Either way it might be an overheating issue. If either you try it with just the Patriot ram and it still messes up or you have already tried it with just the Patriot ram then we'll look into whether it's overheating or not. Though usually when it overheats the computer just goes down like the power was cut.

I had forgot to ask in my last post, but has it just recently started doing this or has it been doing this since you had it.

To summarize:
1: Try it with just the Patriot ram, if you haven't already
2: Let me know if that's your motherboard.
3: Let me know if you have one of those thin computer cases.
4: Let me know if it's been doing this for a while or if it's a recent thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmmm... I don't know the Hyundai brand. I know you said you tried it with different combinations of ram, but have you tried it with just the two Patriot sticks. If you haven't, give it a shot, because like I said I've never heard of Hyundai ram and even so having the two sets of ram that are supposed to be running at different frequencies can mess things up.

Is this your motherboard? You may have to scroll down a bit to get to the pictures.http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864946&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3377270&lang=en#

If that is your motherboard, is your cases one of the little thin or mini cases that HP was making for a while? Either way it might be an overheating issue. If either you try it with just the Patriot ram and it still messes up or you have already tried it with just the Patriot ram then we'll look into whether it's overheating or not. Though usually when it overheats the computer just goes down like the power was cut.

I had forgot to ask in my last post, but has it just recently started doing this or has it been doing this since you had it.

To summarize:
1: Try it with just the Patriot ram, if you haven't already
2: Let me know if that's your motherboard.
3: Let me know if you have one of those thin computer cases.
4: Let me know if it's been doing this for a while or if it's a recent thing.
Yes I have tried it with just the Patriot ram. The Hyundai ram is what was in the computer when I bought it. The case is a mid-tower (HP model M7767c). It started doing this about a month ago. I've had Windows 7 loaded on this machine for at least 7 months. Before that it was Vista. I've been playing COD for a couple of years. Both the video card and power supply were added about 16 months ago so that I could play COD 5. My initial thoughts were some sort of software update caused the issue. It seemed to happen right after both Windows 7 and AVG took updates. I changed my update preference to ask so that I would not automatically post updates. The game worked for a couple of days and then failed again. With that I sort of discounted the updates and changed my preferences back. I was able to get in and play for a couple of hours tonight without a crash, no so yesterday. I removed the processor and reseated it using some Arctic Silver 5 3 days ago. I have also thought about the overheating issue but don't understand why it only manifest itself a month ago and not anytime the year + before. In an attempt to run it with maximum cooling, I took the side panel off and pointed a 12" fan on it. It did run a little cooler, not as much as I would have thought and it still failed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will it freeze when you're not playing games or is it only when you're playing games.

Also, if you ran it with the side panel off and a fan blowing on it, then it shouldn't be overheating. Does it have a stock CPU cooler, and what temp is it idling at?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will it freeze when you're not playing games or is it only when you're playing games.

Also, if you ran it with the side panel off and a fan blowing on it, then it shouldn't be overheating. Does it have a stock CPU cooler, and what temp is it idling at?
It does not freeze in general computer use, only during gaming. It is the stock cpu cooler, the temp at idle is: 34 degrees for both cores.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.