Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, ive been suffering regular computer freezes for almost 3 months now, they usually occur when im playing WoW though they have been known to occur on the desktop. To start with this is my system:
AMD 2600+ @ 2.16Ghz Volcano 12 HSF combo
2 * 512Mg Samsung PC3200 (1 Stick new)
Asus A7V600 motherboard
1 * Seagate Barracuda 200Gb SATA 8Mg Cache (New)
1 * Seagate 80Gb PATA 2Mg Cache
1 * Maxtor 20Gb PATA
AGP Gigabyte 6600GT 128Mg (New)
Thermaltake 430W PSU (New)
DVD Burner
Things ive tried so far:
Updated Drivers
Monitored Heat (41 degrees under 100% load)
Memtest86 24 hours no errors (1gb)
Purchased new H/D, GFX, PSU and RAM
Formatted H/D and did fresh install of Windows XP + SP2
Switched the GF6600GT with ti4200 to check if freezing still occured (it did)
GFX (6600GT) is around 60 Degrees under load
I have an additional 3 case fans, ive also tryed to crash it by running 3dMark05 on maxed out setting for around 5 hours, it went fine.
What else can i do, and what does anyone think is wrong with it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers, i checked out the site and im using 332Watts according to that + 30% and thats around 416Watts, i was previously using a generic 450W PSU before upgrading to a 430W thermaltake PSU. Ill disconnect two of the H/D's which removes 50Watts of usage and see what happens and then write back, although i had though that this would provide plenty of power :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, no change, computer froze twice during WoW, is it possible that is it either my CPU or Mobo? if so how could i check?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings

take out the new stick of memory and try it
and your psu still might be a problem
can you borrow a replacement?
what are your spy/virus defenses?

post back

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Norton Anti Virus 2005, AdwareSpy, Adaware
With the PSU, ive been monitoring the Voltages for any drop in current in relation to the freezes, ill take out the ram now, thanks for the post, ill get back to you asap

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi, i took a stick of memory out (the newer one) and so far it seems to be stable, however when i ran memtest86 for around 24 hours no errors showed.. could that mean an issue with my DIMMs or motherboard as opposed to having an issue with RAM? I had purchased earlier a 512Mg ram that caused my computer to freeze and on the first test in memtest86 the errors filled the screen. I havent got a single error with my new ram. I have uninstalled norton and it still occured

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
ok then
you could try a different slot, the ram is on the qvl list for your motherboard i assume?
also you could bump the voltage on the dimm to 2.8 volts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.