Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does my computer freeze?

My computer tends to freeze in different ways on and different situations, first of all the freeze usually just makes me unable to use any of the windows I have open and doesn't let me open new ones, expect Task Manager which I have been able to open at least once I recall (I was unable to close any of the windows with my Task Manager and the values my Task Manager was showing were also frozen.) This type of freeze seems to build up, what I mean by this is that it starts with one window the an another and so on. Sometimes this freeze also freezes my cursor, either way the only solution I've found to get out of this freeze is forcing my PC to shut off by holding the power button. I should also mention using Windows commands like Alt + Tab and Ctrl + Alt + Del don't work during the freeze. I came upon a new type of freeze which seemed a lot more severe to me and it's the reason I'm asking for help now and the freeze just froze anything instantly without the build up and froze my cursor just like the previous one but this freeze also turned my keyboard off (mouse was still powered) and made me unable to shut my pc off with the power button.

What causes the freeze?

More like what am I doing during the freeze.. because I have no idea what causes the freeze. First of all I should mention the freeze happens quite often usually once a day, sometimes I can go like 2 days without the freeze and sometimes my PC would crash like 4 times a day. So, what am I doing during the freeze, well just browsing, but not always. My PC seems to freeze the most when I'm just using my browser to watch videos or read stuff or whatever. But I recall at least one time when my PC just froze when I was idling with only my Discord and Spotify open (These are the two apps I ALWAYS have on). There is one interesting this to the freezes though, which is that I don't recall I single time my PC would have frozen when I was playing something even if I have my browser open on the second monitor which seems a bit odd.

Last words and specs

My PC has been doing the freezes for moths now and I bought the PC almost a year ago from someone who had it built (also the guy I bought it from seemed legit, nice helpful and really caring about the PC so I doubt he sold me a broken PC.)

But yea thanks for reading and helping and sorry for such a poorly written essay, I don't usually ask much help I prefer just googling and figuring it myself but I've hit a wall here that's why I fear it may be a hardware issue, my guess is the RAM, but I want to get better opinions before I start buying replacements. And ye I've tried figuring this out myself and tried some stuff and I'm sorry I can't remember the things I have tried, I tried finding the same article of things I tried but couldn't find it again.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
16 GB RAM
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (AM4)
Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
BIOS Date: 09/18/19 10:51:30 Ver: 05.0000D
Browser I use: Google Chrome

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,455 Posts
Looks OK. Since you suspect RAM, run a memory check. Also, make sure your drivers are up to date.

·
31,455 Posts
Is all memory recognized by bios? Also a thorough cleaning including removing and re-seating CPU with thermal paste might help.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
10,554 Posts
Does if freeze when temporarily booting and running a different Operating System from a Live CD, DVD, or USB flash drive?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Zorin, Ubuntu, or Slax, then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or Rufus to burn to ita USB flash drive/key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on your HDD/SSD​

Now test the same hardware that was giving you problems. When you're done testing, remove the Linux Live CD/DVD/USB flash drive and simply reboot your PC from the hard drive/SSD like you do now.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is -- more than likely -- hardware related.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
Try a Clean Boot. If that works, then you can leave it this way, or you can add one Startup item or Service until the computer starts freezing, then you will know what the culprit is.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,381 Posts
The first place you should be looking is in Windows Event Viewer. Check for errors at or just before the time your computer freezes for some insight. Look in your c:\Windows\minidump folder as well for crash dump files that can be analyzed if they correspond to the same time stamp for when you had a problem.

The Asus B450 boards can be very finicky about memory timings and compatible RAM. Make sure you have the latest BIOS update from Asus and make sure your have XMP or DOCP enabled in BIOS for your memory, so your RAM is optimized correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is all memory recognized by bios? Also a thorough cleaning including removing and re-seating CPU with thermal paste might help.
All memory is recognized indeed. Also I'm gonna try some other stuff some people are suggesting before re-seating my CPU with new paste, also need to buy some paste as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does if freeze when temporarily booting and running a different Operating System from a Live CD, DVD, or USB flash drive?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.​
To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Zorin, Ubuntu, or Slax, then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or Rufus to burn to ita USB flash drive/key.​
Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on your HDD/SSD​

Now test the same hardware that was giving you problems. When you're done testing, remove the Linux Live CD/DVD/USB flash drive and simply reboot your PC from the hard drive/SSD like you do now.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is -- more than likely -- hardware related.
Don't own a CD/DVD or flash drive currently, I'll have to buy one so I'm gonna try this after trying other peoples suggestions and update later if I'm unable fix or find out the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Building on what Fred suggested...

If the Windows detects the fault it will be present in the Event Viewer > System or Application logs; it would show as a Error or Warning level event. There should also be some Critical events caused by the forced shutdowns.

If nothing is present it points more towards a hardware issue, preventing Windows from writing a log.

A quick scan with the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) might shine some light on the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The first place you should be looking is in Windows Event Viewer. Check for errors at or just before the time your computer freezes for some insight. Look in your c:\Windows\minidump folder as well for crash dump files that can be analyzed if they correspond to the same time stamp for when you had a problem.

The Asus B450 boards can be very finicky about memory timings and compatible RAM. Make sure you have the latest BIOS update from Asus and make sure your have XMP or DOCP enabled in BIOS for your memory, so your RAM is optimized correctly.
I wasn't even aware of Windows having such a feature and I'm happy you pointed that out because I was able to figure out that I had a Kernel Power 41 error. I did some Googling and by the looks of managed to fix it so far, It's been 2 days without a freeze. I'm not sure if this site has a like a "solved" tag but I'll mark this post solved if it does after a week if my PC doesn't freeze just to be sure.

I wasn't able to exactly point out what was the problem or how did I fix it as I did multiple different fixes, but for anyone having the same issue I did almost everything these articles suggested.

Makeuseof

Troubleshootingcentral

·
31,455 Posts
The triple dot at the top of this thread will allow you to mark it SOLVED.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts