Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, Im not really sure what is wrong with my computer, but I will post it in this forum because it very likely could have something to do with the video card.

My specs are:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Acer Aspire M7720
i7 CPU
2.67 Ghz (8 CPUs)
6.1 GB RAM
Direct x11
ATI Radeon 4800 Series

Its still a decent computer, as it can run anything on the max settings without any problems. However, about one month ago the computer started to freeze ( the monitor switching digital-analog, I tested the screen with another computer and the screen is fine) when I was playing Starcraft II.

It didnt happen every time, but every once in a while. It started to occur more frequently eventually, and about one week ago, the computer also started to freeze when playing other games and when watching movies in fullscreen mode. And right now, the computer always freezes when playing games, and it usually freezes within a minute if Im watching movies in fullscreen mode.

When it freezes, the screen sometimes just turns black. However sometimes, bars will appear on the screen and the computer makes a monotous noise.

I tried to do a system recovery to before the problems started to occur (didnt help) I updated all my drivers (didnt work) Finally I opened the computer and got rid of all the dust in the fans. Surprisingly, this fixed the problem for a few hours but after that it started to freeze again.

Tomorrow, I will deinstall all my programs and reinstall them. If that doesnt work, Im afraid something really is broken.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
This is usually down to faulty ram, power supply or overheating.

BTW you do not have 8 CPUs you have 8 cores which is very different and how do you have 6.1GB RAM

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Kazario and welcome to TSF,

The issue you are having sounds like it is either one of two things: Heat, failing GPU.
Considering that it just started happening and i'm assuming the video card isn't brand new.
Double check that the fan on the video card is spinning and all your case fans are spinning to ensure proper air flow through the case (you can add additional air flow with a house fan blowing in the side of the case with the door open to see if it runs longer).

Sadly, if it is a failing GPU it is only a matter of time before it completely fails. If it is still under warranty, the manufacturer can usualy replace it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. The computer is indeed under warranty, but I just would like what is wrong with it. I believe my fans are spinning but Im not sure how to check it. I will try the house-fan thing to see if that works, but am I supposed to see the fan spinning from the outside?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi,

According to Dxdiag I do have 8 CPUs. Quote:

''920 @ 2.67GHz (8CPUs) ~2.7Ghz''

And the computer is still quite new (less than 3 years old) It does have 6.1GB DDR3 RAM

I took a look at Bios earlier this week and nothing indicates that something is getting too hot. My father, who also have built his own computer a while back, suspects the processor is broken

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. The computer is indeed under warranty, but I just would like what is wrong with it. I believe my fans are spinning but Im not sure how to check it. I will try the house-fan thing to see if that works, but am I supposed to see the fan spinning from the outside?
Obiously if you can't see through metal, no you can't see it on the outside:tongue:

If it doesn't void the warranty, you can take off the side panel and look inside to see if the fans are spinning.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Are you using Onboard Video or a dedicated GPU?
Does you monitor connect to the back of the PC Vertically or Horizontally?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Obiously if you can't see through metal, no you can't see it on the outside:tongue:

If it doesn't void the warranty, you can take off the side panel and look inside to see if the fans are spinning.
It says on a sticker that only if you open a seal it will void the warranty (I have no idea which seal they mean) EDIT: It actually isnt under warranty, but it has insurance.

The computer isnt completely closed, so maybe I can see the fan spinning. But I highly doubt overheating is the problem, a few days ago I checked the Bios and nothing indicates that some parts are getting too hot. The temperate is around 30-35 degrees Celsius.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you using Onboard Video or a dedicated GPU?
Does you monitor connect to the back of the PC Vertically or Horizontally?
I know I have a GPU , but I dont know if its dedicated or not.
The monitor connects to the back of my PC horizontally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just checked, and the fans work fine. So overheating definitely isnt the problem. I cleaned the thing two days so there also isnt any dust on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you have a spare video card laying around that you can plug in?

If not, there is a GPU testing utility here Run a couple stress tests on it and see how it goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have a spare video card laying around that you can plug in?

If not, there is a GPU testing utility here Run a couple stress tests on it and see how it goes.
Nope, I dont have a spare video card.

I did the test, and the temperate was around 72-75 degrees Celsius

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
That would be a dedicated GPU. Knowing the Brand & Model would prove helpful.
Brand & Model of the PSU? If you don't know, remove the case side and look at the PSU label.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help so far, but its getting a bit late here so I will go to bed. Tomorrow, I will deisntall all my software. If that doesnt fix it I will call a technician who can fix it (computer has insurance) and he probably can tell me what is broken. It most likely is either the power supply or processor, because there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with fans, video card, GPU, temperature etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yesterday my computer froze again while I was trying to watch a youtube clip, but this time it gave an error. The words:

''Not optimal mode: 1640x1280 60Hz''

appeared. However when I checked the resolution and Hz, the computer didnt seem to use the wrong resolution and hz. it already was running on 60 Hz with a resolution of 1640x1280

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.