Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My computer specs:
Asus P4V533-MX Motherboard
CPU: Pentium 4 CPU 2 GHz
RAM: 512Mb
S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR Video (on board)
Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG311T
Western Digital HD 40 Gig
Power Supply 400W

My wife's computer freezes up randomly. Everything stays on the screen but the mouse doesn't respond. Sometimes it happens after 1 hour of use, the other times after only few minutes. It mostly happens when she is browsing, or checking email.

First my thought was that the processor was overheating, so I checked the fan and it was running as usual, about 2600 RPM.
I also installed the Speedfan software and was able to check the temperatures for the CPU, Motherboard and HD. Motherboard and CPU are running between 29C and 35C when under load. In my another computer, that runs fine these temps are between 40C and 50C.

The HD temp is about 31C or slightly higher from time to time.

Are these temperatures normal?

I have also checked voltages and they are OK.

Went to check Device Manager, and found out that audio device was not found. (But, this shouldn't cause my problems I think? I can deal with that after I solve this problem)

The video card has the latest driver.

One thing I noticed though, when I browse internet, the processor activity hits very high percentages, sometimes almost 100%... Is that unusual?

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
The pc im currently on is a work pc and has a p4 2ghz also. but its idleing at only bout 4% so yea 100% is unusual. Have you tried reinstalling the os? What else is running on the pc? If theres a antivirus program running that will suck alot of the pc's power too. Most people dont use anti virus programs because a firewall eliminates the possibility of viruses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I said when I use a browser, it goes up to almost 100%. When idle, only 2% or so...

I have reinstalled OS, yes. I got rid of Norton for now. I don't see anything else that is running that would eat up resources...

Nermi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
been there, done that.
the AVG has found nothing (and I had to run it in safe mode; otherwise the computer would freeze).

Nermi

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Could you list the voltages of the 3.3V, 5V and 12V, these are available in speedfan, but also list them from bios/setup so we can see both in case one reports incorrectly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.