Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a long story. What happened was that I reseted my computer since it was freezing and I decided to go away for awhile while it was reseting. I come back and the monitor is off and the computer smells like smoke. I unplug the computer and talked to various people about it that said the power supply and motherboard's out and that I'd have to replace it. Later on my sister plugs everything back and the computer's working again. What I found out though was that the USB ports don't work (our printer connects to a usb port and my flash drive doesn't work either) and the audio doesn't work either. (I'm not done.) Later on, the computer was still being used by my uncle and sister and me. We ignore the problems. Then one day, I tried to turn on the computer and it didn't turn on. So I guess I have to replace the motherboard, the power supply, audio cards, and USB ports. What do I do?
I just finished a 30 lesson correspondence course on computer repair that is obsolete because it doesn't talk about USB ports or audio cards. I'm frustrated that I don't know what to do. I've never touched any specific parts inside a computer before and I'm afraid. I've only installed a card or so inside another computer and that's it. :4-dontkno
I can't look inside a certain cd rom that has info on fixing a computer since my computer's busted. :4-dontkno :sayno:

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
borrow a power supply to try in yours and see if it boots,if it does'nt get someone to check your video card
ram
and cpu in their machine,so you can tell what is ok and what is not

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
video card? Well, when the computer was able to be turned on, video was playable. sounds weren't playable. So, it has to be the audio card(s). I'm afraid I know no one that will let me use their computer as a test computer.
I was thinkng of buyinga test computer myself though, just not now..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as in an actual computer retailer or you mean I ask for an estimate from some computer tech...maybe...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hiya

Well anyways... I replaced the power supply (The old one smells burnt) and I still have problems with the sound and the usb ports. I didn't take the computer to a tech. I paid money to Answers from Gateway tech support to help me replace the power supply. The computer works but I still have the above problems.

There are no audio cards in my pc. So is my computer's motherboard messed up?
The usb ports are unuseable. What should I do next? Should I move this message to motherboards?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
qwertyjpc said:
Well anyways... I replaced the power supply (The old one smells burnt) and I still have problems with the sound and the usb ports. I didn't take the computer to a tech. I paid money to Answers from Gateway tech support to help me replace the power supply. The computer works but I still have the above problems.

Hi,

What brand name and watts is the new power supply?

There are no audio cards in my pc.

Do you mean it is an onboard card, or it has none?

It would be a great idea if you would tell us what motherboard, power supply information asked for above, CPU, video card, drives....just those things about your computer that will help us to understand what unit you have.
So is my computer's motherboard messed up?

That is really too early to tell without more information and trying to rule different things out.

We need to know if you have the Motherboard disk for this computer.
The usb ports are unuseable. What should I do next?

Provide us with more information.

Should I move this message to motherboards?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
-MY computer is an emachine, and I bought the power supply at http://parts.emachines.com/emachines. it is a 350 watt while the old one was 250.

The model my emachine is is a D2685. I went to the above website and found no audio cards, although the tech support guy at Answer emachines told me I should buy one before we got involved with removing the mother board. The motherboard is the one for the D2685 which I think has an onboard audio card but I can't see it or don't know if it it's there but I think it's there. No other motherboard I think can fit the D2685 because the ports for the keyboard, mouse, and monitor are connected to it.

I have a restore CD that is available for the emachine. I don't know if it restores drivers or whatnot; Or if it is for the motherboard. The hardware tab on System Properties Device Manager says there is nothing wrong with the sound although when I click on the usb ports it shows nothing.

Sorry I didn't divulge any details earlier. Good thing you told me to.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

The restore disks normally do have all the drivers. Do you have anything on your hard drive that is real important to you at this time?

Before we go there, go to Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and see if you have any red or yellow marks there and if so on what items. If there are any, right click on that item and select update drivers. Report back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as the hard drive goes, there's really nothing important. Some friend of my sister's copied some important files onto a cd-rom.

All of the audio codecs have yellow speaker symbols and two red arrows pointing to each of them. The video codecs have grey cameras with two red arrows pointing towards them, but there's nothing wrong with the video. When I right click on the yellow speaker(s), I get a expand, properties, what's this . No update drivers.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I am assuming that you clicked the + in the sound area to view what is there. When that is done.......

Where you have the yellow marks, point on that area and right click that area...then click scan for hardware changes and see if it finds anything. Then, check to make sure that the update driver command is not there. If you find the update driver area, then if it does not do that automatically, then put your restore disk in and point the driver install to the disk and see if that helps.

If this does not work, you may have to reload or try to repair the install.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I clicked the plus on sound, video and game controllers.

I then clicked on audio codecs and right clicked. I got hardware changes..it just blinks for a second and shows nothing... then there's update driver...it shows but does nothing automatically.

I click on update driver and click on install from a list. Then I click on Next. Then I click on Don't search I will choose the driver to install. I get confused after that. I click on Have Disk...which one do I pick: wdm, Win95 or WinNT? there are so many in wdm and it automatically picks Alcxwdm0.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

What can you lose on drivers, I would let it pick. If that does not help, then you may need to just redo the drive, although you would lose all your data. I need to hit the sack (19 hours up so far today) so will be checking out for tonight. Anyway, if you could tell us what motherboard you have in this unit, we might be able to find the drivers for the sound card. If you download this program and run it (it is discontinued as a free program, but I think you can still get it to work at this point), it will tell you all about your computer: (If not, sorry)

Download and install this free program called Everest:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, there wasn't any yellow or red marks when I clicked on audio codecs... :4-dontkno :sad: it's so frustrating...

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
in the device manager click on view at the top and select
show hidden devices
and then check for any marks alongside of anything

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.