Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was trying to install ubuntu onto my dell and i brought my 80 gig IDE hard drive to my friends house for help and now when i plug it back in my computer tells me "no boot devise available" i have tried more than one hard drive that i know works and i get the same response. i have tried plugging everything back into the mother board and i am completely out of ideas. im not sure what to do in BIOS.... HELP!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can you be more specific as to what you did with your 80 gig hard drive when you brought it to your friends house? Did you put the drive in a different computer to install Linux?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well the hard drive will only boot to an OS on the particular computer that the OS was installed on as it is looking for the configuration settings of that particular computers hardware. For example you can't install an OS from your computer and bring the hard drive to your friends house and expect it to work and visa-versa. I apologize if I gathered your information incorrectly. From what information you have provided I assume all you need is a bootable copy of Ubuntu to put in YOUR computer. Go to the boot up order in your BIOS and change the first boot device to CD-ROM, save and reboot and follow the instillation guide.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
did you move or did your friend mover the jumpers when you took it his place
check it's set as master and on the end plug[black] of the cable
can you see it listed in the bios ok

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.