Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PC was working fine, I disconnected all the peripherals because I was moving it to the other side of the room. After everything is re-connected the first thing I get is a forever loading Windows XP screen.

I figure ok, that happens sometimes, reset. When I reset I get "System Disk Failure, press any keep to reboot"

SO I reboot and enter the BIOS to make sure it see's the HDD. It doesn't. I reboot again, check BIOS bam, it's there!

Back to the forever loading Windows XP screen.

I can enter Safe Mode, I tried to restore to a few days ago when I am sure it was working fine, it went to the forever Windows XP loading screen, when I reboot and enterewd Safe Mode again, I got notification that my restore was successfull.

So here I have it hit and miss, sometimes it see's the HDD sometimes it doesnt, when it does I keep getting stuck at the Windows XP loading screen.

Heres what I have tried so far:

-Re-seated the cables to the HDD.
-Changed boot priority from CD Rom first to HDD first.
-Banged head on wall a thousand times.
-Cried myself to sleep.

Any suggestions??

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hi and Welcome to TSF

I was leaning towards a loose connection at first but when you stated you reseated and tightly fitted all the connections I was alittle surprised.
Is your system using a SATA hard drive? I find those connectors are always making their was loose. This would explain your errors you are recieving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes, I am using a SATA hard drive. I have checked the SATA cable and it's definately in there. I noticed something that MAY or may not be of help.

When I load the PC and I am stuck on the forever loading Windows XP screen.... The PC will not shut off if I hit the power button.

However, If the drive HDD wasnt recognized and I am on the "system Boot Faulure" screen I can power down the Pc by hitting the power button.

Just tossing that in in case it helps our troubleshooting efforts.

·
Registered
712 Posts
YEAH, you definately want to check the hard drive out, that sounds a LOT like what had been happening to my computer...I ran PC Doctor (it comes with the computer) and it gave me a certain code, then told me to check with HP tech support...I got them online, gave them the code,and sure enough...bad hard drive. thank God for the warranty..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I downloaded the HDD utily from the link you posted for my Maxtor HDD. I ran the 90 second test, everything passed. Then I ran the full 2 1/2 hour test, once again everything passed.

I think I have gotten past the part where sometimes the HDD isn't seen. My problem now is that I am forever stuck on the Windows XP loading screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CHKDSK in Recovery Mode took about 2 hours, then from Safe Mode did another CHKDSK /f, then SHUTDOWNJ -r and now I am up and running.
Edit/Delete Message

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.