Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just recently shipped out a (working) computer to someone. It arrived via UPS with 400 in insurance on it. I've been informed that once all plugged in, the lights lit up on the keyboard, the power button was hit...and nothing other than a beep. It ran, and ran, and ran, with a blank screen. Multiple working monitors were used. It would beep like normal while booting, but there was no display.

After a little guess work, it seemed that the video card had become dislodged during shipping. A firm but gentle push got it seated all the way down. However, after he reseated the card, it would no longer even beep. It also wouldn't respond to the reset button. The system only responds to holding the power button down.

Now, normally I could probably figure this out on my own if I had it in my hands. But it's difficult to help someone in a different state that knows virtually nothing of computers troubleshoot potentially damaged hardware.

My thoughts are: The Heatsink may have damaged the board from excessive bouncing during shipping (it was very well packed), or likewise the weighty video card and its cooler could have done the same. Since I don't have it here to work on, I'm wondering if I may be overlooking anything?

If she's toast, we'll probably have to file a claim, which is unfortunate, because it was a dandy working computer (almost identical to my own -- was hard to find those parts!).

This is exactly what I was afraid of happening while shipping...but that's why I put 400 bucks on it.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
You just have to have them check all connections from psu to motherboard.

Then the front panel connections, this maybe hard to explain to someone that lacks experiance though.

Also have them reseat the video card and ram

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Rather than be tied up forever trying to get your claim done, might be worth hiring someone local to the destination to take a quick look inside the case. Might end up being more cost efficient, since you would have to deal with claims, etc. I too suspect a wire came loose someplace.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.