Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I have a major PC problem...probably ought to shoot it! I have an HP pavilion 533w, running Windows XP, with 256 mb ram, 2.0 intel celeron processor, 60 gb hard drive. A few days ago, when I tried to boot the computer up in the morning, it would cut off after just a little while...the first day twice, then it worked ok. The next day it did that over and over, all day. I tried to do a recovery. It stayed on for the recovery, then while doing the "new" computer startup, it shut off again. I never could get it to finish the start up...now it just hangs on "please wait" on the xp splash screen, then cuts off. I tried changing out some of the parts (I had an old computer that I took parts off of). When I changed the hard drive, BINGO...the computer works with the new hard drive....so I guess I found out the problem. The old hard drive is 20 gb, and runs windows 98. The problem with that is, it won't recognize the cdrom, the video driver (only shows 16 colors), etc. I can't connect to the internet to see if I can download the drivers, because I have to use the cdrom to set up my cable modem. SOMEBODY, please advise me of what to do about this problem!!! If anybody has any suggestions on fixing the computer with the original hard drive, it would be TERRIFIC! If not, what can I do to fix the old one I replaced it with! I very much would appreciate your help! Thank you!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF

You can try a repair install. It may solve your problems if the hard drive is not on its way out.
You may want to check the integrity of the drive before proceeding. Run the hard drives manufactures Diagnostic Utility.
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If the drive comes back with now errors proceed with the Repair
Follow these instructions.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

If you have xp sp2 installed it needs to be incorporated into your xp disk or it will not offer the repair option only the clean install.

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding. I did a destructive recovery and thought I had it fixed....it worked great for awhile. Now, its back to doing the same thing, although I have it up where I can work on it now. (PS, I took the replacement hard drive out and went back to the original). I dont have a copy of XP...it came installed on my computer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.