Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, the problem i have been having with my PC is that it crashes when I'm playing PC games. I have a custom built PC and it only ever crashes while playing PC games. The crashes are completely random and can happen anywhere from 10 min in to about an hour of playing. One of two things happen when it crashes, either the screen freezes and so does the audio (causing an annoying loop of the last 0.1 second of audio) and i have to hit the power button to start the computer over, or it just goes black and restarts it's self. I have tried everything i can think of, reinstalled DirectX and graphics drivers, reinstalled windows XP, rebuilt the computer to make sure everything was in it's proper place and nothing seems to stop it. I have an SLI machine and the computer crashes on any game i play (FarCry 2, Crysis, Assassin's Creed, World of Warcraft, Spore, Call of Duty 4 and so on). One thing i have noticed is that with older games like Half-Life 2 i can play much longer without it crashing. The CPU temperature is sitting at about 40C regularly and at around 67C in full gaming. Any help at all would be appreciated as it was expensive to make this system to play games and i haven't been able to do so for over a year since i built it.
System Specs:
* Power Supply – Thermaltake toughpower, 700W, +12V rails = 4

* Motherboard – ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
* CPU – AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor
* RAM – Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) and Kingston HyperX 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

* Video Card(s) – (2x) EVGA 512-P2-N757-TR GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

* Hard Drive(s) – Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

* Operating System - Windows XP

·
Banned
4,713 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF!

Where did you install games? On partition where is operating system or on separate partition???
When you re-installed operating system, did you install games again???

You should test RAM and HDD...

Test RAM with MemTest86+

http://www.memtest.org/

Check what make/model is HDD, visit manufacturer's Web Site,
download diagnostic tools and scan your HDD for possible bad sectors...

Also, check voltages in BIOS and post them here...

Since you have re-installed operating system and if you install games again,
I am assuming that crashing could be due hardware malfunction...

Keep us posted...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the fast response.

The games are all installed on the same partition as the operating system. Yes i reinstalled all the games after i reinstalled the operating system.

I used MemTest86+ to test my ram and it came back with no errors. I also downloaded the Western Digital diagnostic tool and checked my HDD for any errors or bad sectors and it came back with no errors at all.

As for the voltages they are as follows:
Vcore Voltage: 1.38V
3.3V Voltage: 3.38V
5V Voltage: 5.13V
12V Voltage: 12.24V

I'm at a loss to what is wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Running Idle they are around 50-51C, and while playing a game they sit around 64-65C. One of the first things i tried a year ago was to swap the graphics cards out, and it still crashed, also tried each graphics card individually without SLI to no avail.

·
Team Manager, Gaming
7,320 Posts
oh sorry did not see that!
you have a good quality PSU
it could be from the motherboard!
a faulty board could make the PC hard freezes, but I can't guarantee that for sure!
it's your HDD, not your RAM, not the Video Cards, two things remaining:
CPU, M/B
so I'll say the M/B

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.