Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

Firstly i have XP

Secondly - I have had my computer for ages and never had this problem.

My computer randomly crashes and just a black screen comes up whilst the power on my PC remians on. It crashes when i try and play games and sometimes just crashes on the start up screen.

I've just cleaned my fans and the same still happens.

Onec again i've had my comp for ages and this hasn't happened and have played the same game (FM09) for ages with no problem.

I also have another partition on my computer, which is rubbish, but I can go on that with no troubles although I can't do anything on it.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Curt

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think I have a very similar problem. Do You have also trouble with getting restarted after it crashes?
What are Your computer specs? If You want someone to help You here, You need to give information on Your computer. As I am interested in knowing, if You may be dealing with the same problem as I, I would also appreciate in knowing what computer You're using.
I myself have an Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 2.84 GHz, 1 G RAM with a MSI 848P Neo-V motherboard and 650W Thermaltake W0163RED PSU (Active PFC, 14cm FAN, Modular, Temp. Con, 6xS-ATA, 2xPCI-e, 7-ATA).

I'm now quite sure, that my computer's problem was overheating. One very easy way to deal with it - get rid of dust. Open up Your computer and clean the dust. Very important is to clean the dust from the fan cooling the processor, which tends to collect on the heatsink. I had so much dust in there, that there was no way cool air from the fan could have reached the processor. After taking off the heatsink and brushing it clean the situation has improved, although I am thinking on buying a stronger cooling device. But You could also start in there...

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Right click My Computer/Manage Then go to the Event Viewer. Click on System and Application separately and see if there are any Error Red X's, double click them and see what application or process is crashing the computer.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Go to Start/Run and type CMD and hit enter in the command prompt type chkdks /f/r type Y to restart computer and the Check Disk Utility will try and correct any file errors. If this still doesn't fix the problem then go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow the Windows Protection window opens and will replace any system files it needs, you may need your Windows CD for this. It will not affect any of your personal files.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.