Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i got a good question for you. everytime i play call of duty 4 or company of heroes for like 10min my computer crashes with a ringing noise coming through the speakers. i have talked to dell's techs support, since my computer is from there, but they didnt help at all saying there is something wrong with the application. i have read that it could be a heat issue but i recently installed a new fan and have the case open with an external fan blowing in on the motherboard. so i have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it please help.

Specs:
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: 159 GB Total
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: SB X-Fi Audio [CCE0]
Operating System: Windows XP Media Center (5.1, Build 2600 SP2)

·
Registered
300 Posts
What is the power rating of the PSU in your computer? I hope Dell upgraded the PSU when they upgraded the graphics card. If it's under 450-watts then I'd say Dell didn't do their homework.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i updated the graphics card myself, the orginal gpu was an Geforce 7900 Gs and i upgraded it to a Geforce 8600Gt. but the power supply i dont know that the watt is, the sticker is buried under metal and all i could get off was max output 650watts and it also says will not exceed 500w but that could be for something else i dont kno because the sticker is ripped off

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
I agree, its possible coil whine produced from the psu when under stress, report back the watts of the pu plus what amps on the +12,+3.3 and +5V this info is on the side of the psu

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well my psu in on the bottom of my computer and it pretty much covered by the other crap. all the information i found was on a sticker and it says +5V / 30A, +3.3V / 25A, +5FP / 2A, -12V / .5A, +12V_A, +12V_B, +12V_C all read 17.0A. but i think its 650W.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dell has traditionally put in crappy PSU's even though the wattage is up there that doesn't mean it's a quality built unit.

The fact that you upgraded the graphics card and the problem seems to be only when you run these two games tells me the Graphics card may be running the PSU hard. Try lowering the resolution on your monitor settings and see if that helps.

Also check to see what the native resolution of your monitor is and set the graphics settings on your graphics card to that level so both are communicating at the right resolution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha yea this computer has been crap since the day i got it, i have had so many problems with this its unbelieveable. thats why most of the things in here i had to replace. ill run call of duty 4 at optimal settings and see what happens then get back to you. but yea the monitor and the graphics card are matched together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been having this problem too lately. After finding and reading this thread I think I could have the same power supply problem. I can't remember how long after I sent this happened. It was sent in to have the cooling system flushed and replaced, but for certain reasons which they said had to do with the compatibilty of the cooling system then traded out my 7900 GTX for a 7950 GTX I believe. Could that a be a problem? I'm running dual 3.46 Intel Pentium D processors, 4 gigs of ram, American Megatrends BIOS ASUS custom motherboard not really sure what it's called. Any thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.