Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I hav a asus m3a78-em with an AM2 5600+ dual core processor, 8800GT pcie video card, 4gb ram, running windows 7 and a 550watt psu. The system was freshly formatted and running beautifully the past month. No issues whatsoever. Last system change I did was yesterday installing new HD audio codecs for the ALC1200 on board sound...

I was playing Left 4 dead 2 this morning, then got a screen on my monitor that said "Monitor going to sleep". About 5 seconds later it rebootes itself as I saw the green MSI splash screen that says "Press DEL for Enter / bios".

It sat on this screen and never moved so I did a manual reboot, same thing happened, i even tried to go into bios.

Third manual reboot the monitor does not even come on, but system fans are blowing, still do not hear any beeps or anything like it is continuing past bios screen.

Is this a GPU or PSU issue or maybe neither?
thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update, i just turned it on and the screen came up , the one where you would enter into bios, but it froze and was consistantly beeping multiple beeps. there was no pattern, it was a fast beeping sound, and was continuous until i shut it off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strange things.
update 2 I opened the case, checked the 12voltage going to the motherboard and all read perfectly at 12volts on the two 12v wires from the PSU. It seems like the voltage is fine from the PSU.
In the process I unplugged all the 4 pin lines, as well as my graphics power supply and ATX main power supply, and reconnected. Now my PC boots, BUT THEN it reboots itself randomly...
I wonder if this is a failing psu or something just grounded / shorted out. Maybe i will keep a multimeter on it longer to monitor the voltage.
I do have quite a bit of USB devices plugged in, and while running a graphics dependent game along with a camera and ipod charging, keyboard, mouse, and external HD (Even though it was off).
Any other ideas with this new info?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, Looks like I got it figured out, maybe this will be able to help someone else in the future.
The solutions: Bad Memory Stick.
All voltages were fine, so one by one i swapped memory out until I found the culprit. Funny though as this memory is fairly new, I think last august. 1GB OCZ PC2 8500 sticks x 4
solved

thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.