Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer crash during installing updates

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  jcgriff2 
#1 ·
The computer is a small form HP desktop running Window 10. During the process of installing Windows updates the computer crashed. I received a message stating that the computer had incurred a problem and that it needed to be restarted. Over the next fifteen minutes this same message was received. I started getting a message that "Automatic Repair was being performed. I received this message several times. A new message appeared as follows: "A critical system driver is missing or contains errors" Also shown on this message was the following: "Error code :Oxc 0000221" & "Windows\system32 \drivers\q@bda.sys". It futher stated that I would need recovery tools or a system disk. I can not get the computer to reboot. What is the best way to fix the problem. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Thanks for the information.
This morning using a Windows 10 repair disk, I was able to get the computer to boot up. I opened windows update which was showing three updates available. One of those updates was identified as 1090. That was the update that crashed my computer last night. Not being so smart, I allowed the update to start. The installation of 1090 made it to 85% installed. The "your computer needs to be rebooted and we will do that for you" message started. That soon changed to "we are undoing all of the changes to your computer" That soon was replaced with a reboot of the computer every minute. Thinking that the 200 plus reboots were not good for my monitor, I turned the monitor off. I have decided that my problem is trying to install a windows update that I do not need. How does one reject the update if I ever get the computer back working?

#4 ·
What follows is my "standard Windows 10 revival script." You have never said which version and build you are on, and that would be good information to know. If you can get the system to reboot again, then hit the Windows Key, immediately type winver, then hit enter. You will get a dialog with the version and build information.

Also, if you can get the system to boot again, I would definitely try the numbered steps following those for removing an update, as I suspect a corruption in your existing installation, and that would be a better approach.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All of what follows presumes any issue that is occurring is not secondary to a malicious infection. If you believe it is, then your first order of business should be attempting to exorcise your system of said infection. That’s a topic of its own and won’t be covered here.

Also, certain issues point to device drivers being the most likely source underlying them. If that’s the case make sure you have gotten the latest device drivers from either your computer’s OEM support pages or the OEM support pages for the component (e.g., video card, WiFi card, printer, etc.) and installed those and tested afterward.

If you are experiencing unexpected issues immediately or very shortly after any Windows update has been applied, then the first thing you should do is use the Windows 10 built-in capability to uninstall the latest update that’s suspected of causing the issue:
1. Open Settings, Update & Security. This should take you to the Windows Update Pane by default.
2. In the Windows Update Pane, locate the View update history control, and activate it.
3. In the View Update History dialog, locate the Uninstall updates link and activate it.
4. In the Installed Updates dialog, the updates will be listed in groupings, with the groups alphabetically ordered, and the items within each group ordered by date – most recently installed first (if no one has changed the defaults). In most cases, you’ll be looking to uninstall a Microsoft Windows update, and those are generally the final group. The number of updates available for uninstalling is shown in parentheses after the Microsoft Windows group name.
5. Almost all Windows Updates will have a KB number associated with them, and if you know that use this as what you search on for the actual update. Select it.
6. Activate the Uninstall button located above the list of updates, and the selected update will be uninstalled.
If it’s not an update that’s suspected of causing an issue, there are other steps you can take. Before going any further, it must be noted that a repair install (or feature update, when those are being done) allows one to keep all of one's files and apps (desktop/installed and store varieties). This is in complete contrast to a Reset (which allows either keeping just one’s files or wiping everything), or a Refresh/Fresh Start or Completely Clean Reinstall, both of which wipe everything.

My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

3. Doing a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files):
a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File
b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive
c) How to do a CLEAN Installation of Windows 10 (Tom’s Hardware Forums, with screen shots)
I never choose the “thermonuclear option,” the completely clean reinstall, until it's clear that this is the only viable option. I hate having to go through all the work of reconfiguring a machine from scratch if that can reasonably and safely be avoided.

#6 ·
Corday thanks for supplying the correct windows update number. I have worked with Federal income taxes too long. I saw on your profile that you have an interest in automobiles and wine. We share those two items. In age you have three years more.

#7 ·
Britechguy thanks for the information...

I have been looking at the Microsoft little blue window this morning for an hour. I am beginning to believe that a clean install may be the only option. Not too long ago Newegg was selling a Windows 10 Home Full version disk that did not include the key which I purchased. Do you have any experience with this disk? I assume that you can load this disk and if the computer has a valid Windows 10 installed that you will be able to reinstall Windows software using this disk. Is this just wishful thinking? I purchased this computer for my grand son and it has not been used and it has no additional software other than Norton AntiVirus. I have a Windows 10 ISO file which I have not tried yet. I am sure that I will have more questions.
Your information is appreciated.

David

#10 ·
I am beginning to believe that a clean install may be the only option. Not too long ago Newegg was selling a Windows 10 Home Full version disk that did not include the key which I purchased.
David,

One should never, ever use old install media for Windows 10. It is available, at no cost, from Microsoft from the Windows 10 Download Page, which is documented in the instructions I previously posted both for doing a Feature Update/Repair Install or for a Completely Clean Reinstall of Windows 10. You always want the latest media, and it should always be downloaded from Microsoft just before you're going to use it (or at least very near to when you expect to use it, though an ISO or bootable drive for the current version is perfectly fine until the next version appears, as it will take care of downloading patch and cumulative updates that occurred subsequent to its creation date).

Any machine that has ever had Windows 10 installed on it will not require a license key to reinstall the same edition of Windows 10 as it came with. You can reinstall as often as you wish and the installer will locate the key on Microsoft's servers, as they are tied to the motherboard in the machine. Were you to have, say, Windows 10 Home and want to go to Windows 10 Pro then you would need a fresh key for Pro. But even then, you need not reinstall. Windows 10 Home installations have all the components for Pro already present, but these are not activated because the license for Home leaves them unactivated. You can simply go to Settings, Update & Security, Activation Pane and use the Change product key link to activate the in-place edition upgrade process.

#8 ·
To Britetechguy :
The computer is running for the time being.
You asked me to get the version number which is as follows:
Version 1803(OS Build 17134.407). Windows Update shows the following:
"There were some problems installing updates,but we will try again later.

(OX80070422).
I stopped the windows update.
In the Recovery section there is an option to "Reset this PC".
Is this advisable?
David

#9 ·
Version 1803(OS Build 17134.407). Windows Update shows the following:
"There were some problems installing updates,but we will try again later.
I would not use Reset this PC (period, but particularly not in your situation).

I would use the instructions I previously posted for doing a Feature Update using the ISO file. Version 1803 is out of support, and there are likely corruptions in your installation, and having the full ISO for Version 1909 and using it to do a "several Version leap" Feature Update is the safest route.

Also, before you do anything, copy off your user data if you do not already have a backup protocol and have that data.

#11 ·
Is version 1903 the most recent version of Windows 10?

In the broken computer's control panel in the "Advance recovery tools" section there is a "Create recovery drive", which I am in the process of creating a recovery drive. I know that the recovery drive will be garbage. If the recovery drive will reboot the computer that is more than what I presently have.

What is your recommendation on fixing the computer?

#12 ·
David,

The current version of Windows 10 is 1909. If you are able to boot in to your computer in something other than safe mode (as you can't trigger a feature update from safe mode) then my advice will remain precisely what I've said several times now:

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

And if you are not concerned about loss of existing data and/or installed programs, then doing a completely clean install of Windows 10.

I always try a Repair Install first.

#13 ·
The computer is no longer running.....
I stopped to eat lunch and when I returned it was dead.
I am not sure what happened unless it tried to install an update. I thought that I had gotten the updates stopped.
I am going out of town for the remainder of the week and give the computer a little rest.
I assume to do the repair I will have to be able to boot the computer up.

#14 ·
In order to do a Repair Install/Feature Update with the ISO file or even bootable USB media you must be able to get the machine to boot into normal mode, not safe mode.

If you can't do that then I would definitely advise going the completely clean reinstall route, just based on what has been said previously. The machine does not need to boot to do this, as you would boot off of bootable USB media. See the previously posted instructions.

#15 ·
I stopped to eat lunch and when I returned it was dead.
By Dead, do you mean, when you returned, there was a black screen and the computer shut itself off, but you were able to turn it back on? Or you press the power button and nothing comes on? black screen, no lights, no fans, no sign of life?
If the later, there is a serious hardware problem, possibly the Power Supply Unit has failed.

#17 ·
May be a little too early but what the heck.........:smile::smile::smile::smile:
To britechguy

Finally got the computer to bootup and followed your instructions for "Doing a windows 10 repair........with ISO file".
I now have version 1909 installed and the computer is working great. Two updates were downloaded and installed and "NO CRASHES".

Thanks for all of the information and advice you gave me.

TO Corday

Before starting the final attack on the computer, I had two glasses of Gnarly Head (a cheap old vine red zinfendel).:whistling:

#18 ·
Glad to hear you have met with early success and it is my sincere hope that things go along smoothly going forward.

I have had great success with the Repair Install/Feature Update using the ISO file over the last 4.5 years and it has virtually eliminated (though not absolutely eliminated) the need for completely clean installs. One of many reasons I like Windows 10 so much better than all versions that have come before it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.