Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what part of my computer is wrong, so I'll just post this here.

Last night, my computer was working fine. No problems at all. I went to sleep in peace, with the computer still on humming beside my bed.

When I woke up this morning, I turned on my monitor, only to discover a blinking underscore in the upper left corner as the only thing to see. ***? I couldn't type anything, and ctrl+alt+del didnt do anything. So I shut down the computer using the computer's power button and started it back up again. This time it was even worse. There was nothing. Just a blank screen. The monitor was even in suspend, like I had left it on for many hours. I didnt even get to see the Intel Desktop Board graphic that is normally the first thing I see when I start up my computer.

My first thought was: Virus? I have antivirus software, and keep it updated regularly. I also keep my Windows XP updated regularly as well. In the past couple weeks McAfee has detected an ExploitByteVerify bug on my system a couple times when it scanned it, and I have deleted the files it found. They were just java .class files. No problems seemed to result from deleting them then. If the problem was just a virus, it would be annoying, but reinstalling Windows has become old hat for me, and I would be able to deal with it. I put in a boot floppy and the Windows XP cd, and restarted my computer manually again. But this just led to the same thing: a blank screen and a suspended monitor.

I wondered if my BIOS was for some reason not configured to boot from my floppy anymore. I tried restarting to get into my BIOS (which I get to by pressing the F2 key), but nothing happened before I just got the blank screen again.

Now I began to worry some more. I noticed that the light that blinks orange when the computer is accessing the hard drive stayed orange while I had the computer was on, and I thought there was a problem with the hard drives. You see, about a month ago I bought a new 120GB Western Digital harddrive. I surprised myself by being able to install it as my master hard drive, putting my old Samsung 30GB harddrive as the slave, then installing Windows XP on the Western Digital and Red Hat Linux on the Samsung. I didnt know how to do that before, but the instructions were clear and easy to follow, and it worked fine. I had no problems with this setup for weeks. But now I was afraid that something had gone wrong that had come back to bite me. So I turned off the power to my surge protector, opened up my computer, and checked that all wires and cables seemed connected correctly and tightly. As far as i knew, they were, so I tried starting my computer again. I got the blinking white underscore (progress!, i thought) but nothing more, and on subsequent restarts just the blank screen again. I even tried replacing the IDE cable with a spare one I had lying around, but this made no change. In a moment of desperation I tried switching the configuration by making my Samsung the master drive and my Western Digital the slave, but nothing different happened. I do now know that if I turn off the power to my surge protector and then turn it back on from there, I get the blinking underscore, but if I just turn off the computer using its power button, I get the blank screen.

I know that was a very long story, but I tried to be as detailed as possible so somebody can figure out what's wrong. My next fear is that it is a problem with the motherboard, because I know less about motherboards than I did about harddrives when I went to install my new one last month. But what could cause a computer to go from working fine one night to not working at all the next morning?

Thank you for reading all that, and thank you for any help you might have.

-Brian

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Try a new power supply before declaring the motherboard dead.

Sometimes the Capacitors on the Power supply blow, but still turn on the fan and lights. New power supply may solve the problem.

If it doesn't, sometimes a CPU will burn-up under the heatsink. New processor is the fix.

After that I have seen everything but the Ram (protected by diode) blown from a bad power supply.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As he said it is possible that something went out to luch, and forgot to return..
Try this...
Open the case, and carefully, marking on a piece of paper where everything is, and belongs... remove everything, carefuly laying things out around the table around you.
slowly start to put things back.

Can of air spray clean the CPU fan, power supply and motherboard of dust.
connect single HDD, FDD to single primary ribbon.
install memory chip, only one not more.

Ok, connect Video to monitor, and boot up.
if window is same, change memory, then try changing HDD.
If it boots up the way it is supposed to then keep adding parts until you are completely back to where you should be.

If a part crashes you out, then you found what could be wrong, or now incompatible.
Take that part to a repair shop and ask them if they can check the part for you to verify it is good or not.

If you have a buddy that has a computer MAYBE you can verify the part on his computer if it is compatible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.