Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought mostly all new parts for a computer and put them together. It all seems to work just fine other than; after about an hour or so it completely freezes up. The only solution is to restart. Upon restarting it /sometimes/ freezes as soon as I log in and rarely beforehand, if I leave it for a while it'll last longer. I assume it's a heating issue, but there doesn't seem to be any excess of heat, nor does there seem to be any fluctuations indicated by any monitoring programs.

-ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCUII TOP 3GB
-ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard R2.0
-AMD FX-9590 8 Core Black Edition Processor
-Vantec ion 2 600watt power supply
-2x corsair CMx4GX3M2A1 4GB DDR3 RAM

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
What's new ans what's not?
Check the Temps & Voltages.
If that PSU is not new it would be a prime suspect. Possibly an issue if it is new.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
The Vantek ION2/ION2+ lines have been out of production for several years, so I suspect it is one of the "not new" parts. When new, it was a decent middle-of-the-road supply; nothing special but far from the worst on the market. That said, it would definitely be my first suspect.

PS: Though it should run on any decent quality 600-650 watt supply, I'ld rather see a 750 (or better) in your system. With both stressed, your processor (max TDP 220w) and graphics card (~300w max) will chew up well over 400 watts from the 12 volt line alone.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The lower quality PSU would certainly be suspect and replacing it with a good quality unit would only be a win/win deal.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
500W is the minimum power recommended for a R9 280X so 550W will be fine.
SeaSonic-XFX-Antec HCG are top quality.
U.S. prices, the SeaSonic 620W is commonly the best value per dollar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.