Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum, but it does not pertain to a specific OS nor does it pertain to other things. I believe the issue is with the motherboard, so I will give you a rundown on the history.

This is a ... Let's put it like this, dinosaur computer. It used to be the "top of the line" back in its day. But it's a piece of... ahem, according to most people. I see it though, as a diamond in the rough. ....Okay, maybe just a piece of quartz but it's still pretty, right? Enough with that. Let's get down to business.

I built this computer with parts from at least 10 different computers, so it's not just one specific thing. The motherboard is a (don't choke!) p4vmm2 mainboard. I'm just going to pretty well copy what is in the book on the features table.

Processor: Accommodates Intel Pentium 4 478-pins CPU, supports a front-side bus of 400/533 MHz
Chipset: support for an 4xAGP interface, an ATA 133 interface on the chipset which helps boost system performance on a ATA 133 Hard Disk Drive (133 MB/s). Six usb ports, ac97 link for audio and modem, hardware monitoring and ACPI/OnNow power management.
Memory: 2 184 pin 2.5V DDR DIMM sockets with total capacity of 2GB system memory (oh em gee. So much memory.) DDR up to 200/266 MHz memory bus
Built in graphics: Doesn't matter cause I use another graphics card which is much better
Ac'97 audio codec.... *** is that.
Expansion options: Mainboard comes with the folloiwing options: 3 32bit pci slots with transfer rates of 33,66,100,133 MB/s, an AGP slot, and a CNR slot.
Integrated I/O ports. - Two ps/2 ports (mmouse/keyboard), serial port, vga port, parallel port, 6 usb ports, audio jacks, microphone, line in and out.
Built in ethernet LAN - I don't use it, I don't think; I bought the wireless thing to put in one of those ports.
BIOS firmware- AMI BIOS

My memory that I use: Elixir 512 MB DDR 333MHz, and Nanya 128 DDR 333MHz
^ Is that too many megahertz?

I have a memorex CD drive 52x24x52 rewritable.
I have a western digital WD400 40GB IDE HDD
I also have a seagate with the same properties.

That's all I can tell you.

Here's the history:

Back in the dinosaur age (okay, maybe a little later), my dad bought this as an upgrade to his computer. He gave me the old one. Years later, he bought another upgrade, and once more, this was my computer. The computer ended up dying. I got BSOD's constantly, and XP finally just broke down and died. I got a laptop after that.
Welllll.. I broke the laptop. So dad said I could build that computer back. He gave me the shell with the mobo, and that's all the good help I had. Of course, he tried to load it with Ubuntu and Linux Mint, but he said it was impossible. Hours and hours, days and days later, I discovered what had broke the computer. Simply a fried HDD was causing the most problems. I replaced it and ran linuxes for several months. Then, it started crashing. I would be able to get on the computer for like 30 minutes and it would just shut down. I dealt with that. It got down to where every 15 seconds it would crash. I finally decided, it must be the mobo. I put it up.
A month later, I got a new laptop. Then I got bored, and decided to rebuild the computer. I had a breakthrough idea: MAybe the mobo was fine, it could be the... GRAPHICS CARD!!!! .... Well, I replaced the graphics card and now at least I can try to boot, but now, I have had no luck getting it to recognize the boot records for anything. I have tried windows 95, ubuntu, mint, browser, and another or so. I have it installed on disks and HDDs, and it still does not show a boot record. It recognizes the HDD and the CD drive (and recognizes theres a disk in there). And, up until today, it would at least load the CD as a boot disk, but end up with a purple screen (the ubuntu "Loading" screen) forever. Now, today, it does nothing. I really want this computer up. If anyone can tell me a possible fix, please do. I've searched the web, and cannot find a problem unique as mine. I'm positive I have the HDD installed properly and that the CD is a working one, but the computer is just useless when it comes to booting.

Any possible fixes? I was thinking if i screwed around with BIOS it might fix something, but I would rather not mess anything up ;)

Thanks for reading, sorry to have a big long post, but I wanted to provide as much info as possible.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, so I couldn't find an edit button on this post. Maybe I'm blind, maybe I can't edit it.

I am updating this topic.

I installed a new power supply. It was used, but seemed like it was brand new and works perfectly.
I can now power everything properly.

STILL, I cannot get it to recognize the boot files! The serials in the boot menu are equal to the hard drive, so I know it recognizes the hard drive properly, but still, I cannot get it to boot off the drive or CD drive. Says "No boot record found, find devices" or something like that >_>

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts
Is the optical drive set as First Boot Device in the Bios?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It goes in order as followed:

IDE-0
IDE-1 (if one)
CD

Now, I hardly ever let it just boot like that.
If you push F8 you are brought to a blue and black screen asking you what drive you will boot off of. If there is no record found on that one, it will automatically start at IDE-0 and continue the record.

PS: IDE-0 is the drive with Ubuntu dual booted with mint. If I boot directly on it, SOMETIMES it brings me to a blank black screen with the little white flashing line, but I cannot type anything. It just sits there. IDE-1 is not on my computer anymore, so it automatically skips to CD

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another update:

I decided I would hook up the floppy drive and see if it works: It does.
I have some old boot disks around here, but I couldn't find the boot disk. I found a setup disk, but not the first one, it was the fourth of six. It tried to boot off of it and gave me an error, "This is not a system disk". If I can find the original disk to the setup set, I will try to boot off it. I think it will work.

After that, what do I need to do to get everything fixed where I can boot normally off the drive? If I could just get on the computer and get my files off, I could wipe the drive and reload it. But I can't if I can't boot, so :s

Helps appreciated. i've searched we internets all day and cannot find answers that help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.