Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took a while but Im finally at my wits end. I started to build a PC over the weekend and ran into some crazy problems. I put everything together, double checked everything from the wiring to the screws, flipped the switch (so to speak) and Poof!! A nice blue spark from the PSU and everything shut down. At this point I just prayed that nothing else was fried. I got into the car and had a brand new Anix 450 watter in 20min. Now for the sweat test. I unplugged everything but 1 stick of ram, CPU, and video card. Here we go again.....WOW IT BOOTED!!! So now Im feeling great!! I shut down, plug in the rest and all seems to be A-OK. Now comes time to load the OS and time for the real problems. I put in a Win XP Pro disk and boot. About 70% into the install I get a windows message "cant find file - press esc to skip or f1 to search for file" or something close to that. I try to manually find the file but no go, so I skip it and continue with the install. It finishes and Windows boots up. I loaded a few drivers but the system just wasn't right so I said [email protected]#k it and started again. I wiped everything and loaded a different OS, Win XP Media 2005. This time and till this day the system hangs during the install, I cant get the OS in. I tried 2 different HD's and 2 different CD drives but still cant get the OS installed. Any suggestions?

Hardware:
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
AMD 3700+
Seagate 300g HD
Western 40G HD
ATI AGP 9700

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
welcome to tsf
try loading your system with 1 stick of memory if there is more.
if there is only 1 stick, change slots.
the 70% install might be at your display driver, do you have a spare card to try untill your loaded?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. After I posted I got a little further in my install. When I boot to the OS disk it goes thru the norm e.g loads files, drivers etc... when it gets to the "setup is starting windows" part it stays on that screen for about 15min or so - after the long wait it starts loading the OS - after the install is done and I reboot, the reboot time is also about 10-15min. Once its up and running Ive noticed VERY strange things. There is no IE icon ANYWHERE in the system HUH?! I cant access services, help, system info and others.... also when I open "my computer" the system crashes and it takes another 15min to reboot.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is it possible that the install CD's are copies and not oem? Alot of CD drives have issues with various brands of CD-R and will read them, but wont boot correctly from them.

I had similar issues when trying to install Server 2003 from a Copied CD-R. Even the OEM would give the same error about not being able to find files.
1 CD did have some pin holes and scratches from heavy use as we keep the OEM's under lock n key and use backups.

The computer was an older PII and the CD drive was only a 8x CDR.
So if the cd drives you are using are older models. You might want to try new ones.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Personally, i would suggest
n hopefully u seated the chip and fan correctly
1 HDD on primary master
1 cd on secondary master
1 stick of ram in whichever slot the BOOK says 1 stick should go
check and RECHECK all cables and wiring, do u have all the power plugs into mobo ?

**reset/default motherboard
**1st boot /default bios

now try to install, and after install use mobo drivers.
then get windows updates

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes they are original copies. My gut tells me the mobo might have gotton damaged when the psu went poof. I think I might have to bring it to my local tech shop and have the board, cpu, and ram checked out. Ill post when I get the verdict. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.