Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! last night while using my comp which is placed next to my desk, my cat knocked over a glass of water and it fell STRAIGHT into the top of my HAF 932 (where the top fan is, i noticed my monitor stuck on a frame), i quickly unplugged the power cord, and opened up my comp, cleaned what i could from it with soft tissues and left it overnight to dry, today I tried plugging the power cable back in after no sign of water, The evga classifed heartbeat was beating, and random blue lights turned on, I thought it was safe to try to fully start up my comp, as soon as i pressed the power button, i saw smoke coming out from the back of my computer(where the powersupply is), i removed the powercord again.

I'm not sure if only the powersupply fried or if all the components did(how can i check?), I'm not too good with computer components and i dont really know how to check them out, I checked my monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset and they are all working fine on my laptop.

Thanks.. Please dont make me hate my cat more than i already do :<

· TSF - Enthusiast
7,682 Posts
The only way to test the individual components is to try them in another computer. If this isn't possible, I suggest, once you get a new psu, strip your case and benchtest the system.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f255/how-to-bench-test-your-system-171424.html

By the way, I cannot hate your cat just for doing what cat's do. Mine used to sleep on top of a CRT monitor, blocking all the cooling vents. The only response elicited from yelling and cursing would be a single opened eye telling me where I could shove the flyswatter I was threatening him with. Remember this. You can train your dog. With your cat, you can only make suggestions.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello Bobby, by now you know that there was still water inside your system that caused the short. I would say before you plug in the new power supply and fire the system up again, flip the computer upside down with side of it open and take a hair dryer and blow it gently keeping the distance from circuit board ( not to over heat the components on the board).
Some time it can take days for water to dry in hard to reach places like, under the heatsink, under chipset fan, water in memory slots, etc...
take as much components off as possible and then use hair dryer.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Regards

Amar Sondhi

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.