Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the note:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

A couple days ago, I clicked to watch video and screen came up and everything froze up. So, I rebooted computer. It boots to this screen every time. None of the safe mode options works. One time, it said I was missing WINDOWS/SYSTEM/system32/CONFIG . This is a laptop and the CD drive does not work. I have tried a external CD drive to recovery and it will not boot off this CD. Also, I have tried to boot Ultimate Boot Disk and this will not work.

Any Suggestions? I would believe my files are still on the drive but the Windows files need to be reloaded.

Please advise as soon as possible. Thank you again for your immediate help because it would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, I have tried changing BIO settings and Have restored to default.

Thanks again .

Smirk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Without a working cd drive or a bootable external cd drive I don't know of any way this can be repaired. Do you have access to another cd drive that would fit into the laptop temporarily (borrow)? Is the BIOS set to boot from CD first in the Boot Order?

Karaokeman

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried to boot from external cd drive however this did not work in all situations. I changed bios to removable media drive and this did not work either. I do not know anyone with the same computer to get this borrowed cd drive. Any other suggestions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question. Could I use a jump cable with one of my desktops to the laptop hard drive and just reinstall windows? I have a jumper cable and if so how would I do this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can someone please give me a hand? I would greatly appreciate it as I have finals this weekend. Any assistance would be great. Thank you again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
"What is the difference between bootable external cd drive and external cd drive if any. ?" There is no difference. I was referring to the fact that some BIOS will allow a computer to be booted from an external cd/dvd drive and some will not.
To use another cd drive from another laptop would be the best option. It doesn't have to necessarily be the same model or even brand. Many of them will work in several machines. You might have to take the faceplate off (carefully) in order to make it fit; however. Just make sure the connection on the back side of the cd drive is the same type.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How could I get this computer to stop restarting before I can read the blue screen or errors. This might assist in the issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I have purchased a Cables to Go kit so I can see my laptop files on the Vista Desktop Computer. I want to restore registry files from the previous date however I cannot find the system volume information folder at all. In addition, could i repair registry files using an xp recovery disk on the desktop. I need assistance buy someone please. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Smirk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.