Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
A friend has a computer that whenever she plays dvds it bogs the computer way down. I had her check the CPU usage and it was 99%. When she minimized the dvd program the CPU usage went down to 75%. Also, when the dvd program was open the sound was skipping (I assume this is cause of the CPU usage) but when she minimized the program the sound played fine. The program she is using is PowerDVD and she has Athlon XP 2000, 448MB RAM. They also just installed the DVD player in the computer a short while ago. I told her she should get more RAM and see if that fixed the problem. Could it be something else? She also said it bogs down when she asks the computer to do anthing, though I don't know how much it bogs down...
Thanks,
-Douglas

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I've had similar systems, and never had any DVD issues.

What DVD software is she using? To compare, download VLC media player and use it to play a DVD - does the same thing happen?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She tried in both PowerDVD and Windows Media Player. I talked to her again and she said it had bogged down ever since they had gotton it a couple of years ago. Thus, they never used it much till now...So I don't think it has to do with the DVD player. I'm just not sure why it would bog down. She does a virus scan about once a week, spyware scan very often, and I had her do an online scan from bitdefender. She does not have a printer plugged in and they just put a new sound card in a short while ago. At first I thought it might be connected to that, but the sound works fine when the DVD program is minimized.
Thanks,
-Douglas

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Well ... It looks like the system is using shared memory for the video (64MB) ... Generally, with the newer systems, this is just fine for playing movies and general use.

You may want to load the newest video drivers, or even try a stand-alone video card if the motherboard has an AGP slot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is, it shouldn't bog down when you open internet explorer or something simple like that. I have a computer with half the specs and it plays dvds fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.