Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Alright this is probably the most serious error I have ever come across in a computer pretty much in this era. Ok the computer I am trying to fix is this:

Computer: Pentium 4 D865GLC Socket 478
Manufactorer: I am not sure I opened it up to look at mobo but I cant see what it is. The Powersupply says AOpen and it has
Memory: 1 gig DDR 3200 = 2*512Mb DDR SDRAM

Problem:
It loads up windows and then just freezes. Then if I reset the computer its a black screen. Nothing. When I keep it off for a while then try to start it, the same deal, it will load Windows and crash right after it. I tried to do a reinstall of Windows so I tried to access its BIOS and after ages I managed to do that but then it crashed in BIOS as well. Its so annoying. I dont know what to do. Do I need to reinstall windows? I am not used to Pentiums so how do I do that? Is it a Hard disk issue?

My questions:
1. What do I do to eliminate what it can be?
2. Is this a hardware issue or software?
3. Do I need to do a reinstall of windows?

Please let me know?

Cheers
Zed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its 200W on the power supply. My friends have narrowed it down to 3 things:

1. CPU
2. RAM
3. Power Supply

I have switched around the RAM and then it worked. Like I thought the problem might have been a faulty mouse socket as when I put in a USB mouse it worked for 2 hours. Then when I connected up my USB key which had some PC tools in it, it just froze again. Please can you give me some tips on how I can find out the problem. I have a spare PC outside which I will use. I will swap out the RAM and then the PSU to narrow it down. Is this wise?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I think it is the power supply, because Aopen is a very weak supply to start with and then it is too small. While a Corsair 450 most likely run that card, I would suggest you purchase something like a Corsair or Seasonic 550 to run it. That way, if you decide later to upgrade your video card to a more modern one, you have a power supply that would pull it.

On this forum, we do recommend a bare minimum of a 550 watt power supply for any pci-e video card and any PSU must have a minnimum of 26 amps on the +12 rail. Here is one to look at and at a great price with rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&Tpk=corsair power 550

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is the power supply, because Aopen is a very weak supply to start with and then it is too small. While a Corsair 450 most likely run that card, I would suggest you purchase something like a Corsair or Seasonic 550 to run it. That way, if you decide later to upgrade your video card to a more modern one, you have a power supply that would pull it.

On this forum, we do recommend a bare minimum of a 550 watt power supply for any pci-e video card and any PSU must have a minnimum of 26 amps on the +12 rail. Here is one to look at and at a great price with rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&Tpk=corsair power 550
Hi There, Thanks again for you continued help Tumbleweed. You have been a great help yet I just want to make sure you know what PC I am talking about. The computer I am talking about is not my ADM Athlon X2 4400+ but I was talking about my friends pc which has an integrated video card ant not a PCI-E card. This the pc I was referring to not the one in my signature:

Computer: Pentium 4 D865GLC Socket 478
Manufactorer: I am not sure I opened it up to look at mobo but I cant see what it is. The Powersupply says AOpen and it has
Memory: 1 gig DDR 3200 = 2*512Mb DDR SDRAM

Ok yes I agree with you 200W is way too low. But my friend said he had no issues with it before. We are talking it to his uncles shop to get it repaired so no worries in that regard. Hopefully we can find out the problem. Also, from what I have told you, you dont think there might be a virus thats somehow infected the BIOS as well?

Cheers
Zed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.