Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys...I just typed this whole long essay and I lost my info because I wasn't logged in. :rolleyes:

Cliff's Notes version: My computer was running rock solid with my old XP2000+ CPU. I upgraded to a (used) XP3200+, with a fresh re-format and re-install of WinXP Pro, and now my computer seems to lock-up/freeze any time I insert a CD or try to run any sort of Setup.exe file. I can't even get my drivers installed. However, I am able to get online and surf just fine (I'm on the machine right now.) It just stops resoponding and forces me to use the reset switch to reboot just about any time I use any sort of "autorun" CD or use any sort of "setup.exe" to install my programs. I even tried downloading a couple programs (example, SpySpweeper) to see if it would run the Setup from the HDD instead of the CD. It still froze! ARRRRRGH! BIOS POST reporter does not indicate any hardware problems or malfunctions, but is it still possible the CPU is fried?

Hardware is listed in my signature. For a full play-by-play I posted in another forum, PLEASE follow this link...

http://forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?t=192964

It's not very long...please post here after reading and let me know what you think it could be! I'm stumped! :4-dontkno

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I had trouble reading your link (would not load for me), so am kind of in the dark with this one and how it transpired. Therefore, I may cover something that has been done, but do have an opinion from what you said here in your post:

I think you have either one of two different problems. It is possible both of them might be the problem.

1) Heat issue. This could be from either improper installation of the CPU and the heatsink, lack of case cooling (this CPU will run hotter than your old one), or something not put together properly.

2) Power supply voltage. This newer CPU will take more power, so a power supply that was just on the line in power might not be able to push this CPU and unit like it did the old one.

I would suggest that you montor voltages and temps both at-rest and under-stress. If you don't have a built in program, here are a couple free ones you can download:

Sandra Lite Utility

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

or

Speedfan will tell you the temperatures and a whole lot more. It's free

http://www.sofotex.com/SpeedFan-download_L4655.html

or

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Post your results back here and one of us can take a look at what might be going on.

Also, list the brand name and wattage of your present power supply.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys,

Thanks for the speedy responses!!! Ok, the PSU is a 2-month old Raidmax 430W. Came with the case. It has 4 fans and pretty decent airflow.

The BIOS is reading the CPU correctly...shows up as an XP 3200+.

A few times when forced to reboot, I noticed in the BIOS that the CPU temp was somewhere around 123-125 deg Farenheit. I think voltage was 1.65V...does that sound right? What should I try increasing it to?

Thank you so much for the ideas, this is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard disk as well. Weird.

Update: I installed SpeedFan but when I try to run the EXE, the computer freezes and then reboots itself. When it restarts, I get the "recovered from a serious error" message, and when I click to get details, it tells me it's a driver issue.

Anyway, my buddy is here with another XP3200 CPU so I'll swap it and see what happens...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No go with my buddy's CPU...my computer hated his even more than it hates mine.

I noticed 2 things though...can someone comment on these observations?
1) His cpu is green, mine is brown...both are supposedly XP3200+'s.
2) In his Control Panel/System, his CPU speed reads the correct 2.2ghz. However, I noticed that mine reads at 2.19ghz. Does this indicate mine is damaged/fake? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings

that difference in reported speed is negliable, dont worry.

did you guys use artic 5 thermal?

can you put the original cpu back in to check out the stability?

post back

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
hello:

I would like to add aliitle to Whodat's idea / are you fellas experienced with applying the thermal paste on a working cpu ???? many guys will apply paste then lift up the cpu to check to see how it spread / thats a failure !! once you break the bond of the cpu -paste you must clean off the paste and start fresh / you dont need much paste -- too much hurts as bad as not enough -- it MUST be just right a speck about the size of a BB gun -BB then site the cpu on it and mount heat sink tight

On to next observation / 52C at start-up is hot !! So AGAIN >>> i am suspect of the thermal grease application

power supply / 430 watts is not enough power supply to run that rig EFFICIENTLY you PSU is capable of putting out 330 watts at FULL load thats not cool because that is what you need or damn close to it >> at full load operation
better option would be to install an Enermax or Antec PSU 550 watts >>> the bigger the psu the longer it will live flawlessly >>> the cooler it will stay too >>> and the cooler it will keep your system >>> you see the fan on the bottome side of the PSU pulls the hot air up from the CPU and expells it tru the PSU >>> only problem with this is ~~ if you psu is working at full load and you add the extra cpu heat into the unit >>> the psu will get overheated and trip the thermal protection or make unstable juice / the hotter a psu gets the less efficeint it gets therefore puts out less wattage and unstable voltage

an oversized psu never gets heated up because it designed to work harder !!

I would also go for the latest bios release

keep us posted on your progress / dont hesitate to ask more questions

i'mm checking right now to make sure I am logged on !!! dont want to lose my essay !! LOL

regards

joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Ugh, what a night. I got too frustrated with mine, went back to set up my friend's for a while. I'll plug mine back in pretty soon.

As for the temp/thermal paste...well, there was a bunch gooped on to my buddy's stuff, and I didn't have any here. His computer came with 2 fans...an OEM AMD fan, and this HUGE Thermaltake fan that weighs like 2 lbs. and has a speed control dial that goes out the back of the case. I didn't want to mess with the Thermaltake thing yet because of the added wires/confusion since I'm just setting his up for the first time...I said let's use the OEM fan to get it running, and we'll worry about the upgrades after it's running.

So...with NO thermal paste (I wiped the parts clean of any old stuff), and the small OEM fan instead of the huge Thermaltake fan...my friend's XP3200+ / Asus A7V880 combo is running stable at 49c/120f as we speak, according to the Asus PC Probe utility.

I will check mine again after I plug it in for comparison's sake, and also I'll re-check his once we get some paste here and install the big fan. But it seems that 120f is not hot enough to be causing any stability issues.

Also, his PSU is 450 watts...mine is 430...again, pretty close. It would seem mine should at least be enough at idle.

I'm gonn unplug his machine, plug mine back in, and try a clean boot with no additional services and see what happens. I'll be back (I hope)! Thanks again! :wink:

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
So...with NO thermal paste (I wiped the parts clean of any old stuff), and the small OEM fan instead of the huge Thermaltake fan...my friend's XP3200+ / Asus A7V880 combo is running stable at 49c/120f as we speak, according to the Asus PC Probe utility.
if you did what i think....turn it off
you need thermal compound artic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know what the big deal about the thermal paste is...I mean, I'll put some on when I get some more, but my buddy who runs the IT system for all of Cigna across the country doesn't even believe in using thermal paste at all. So I figure if he has thousands of machines running without paste, I'll be ok for a few days. :wink:

Anyway, my buddy's system was running just fine at 120F which is well within the temp boundaries of the CPU, right? No worries. I'll try the paste when I can get to the store and buy some more, but I figured I'm ok temporarily at 120F.

Ok, so, next chapter in the drama:

I had opened up a Microsoft Service Ticket, and I have an e-mail chat going with a service rep who is helping me troubleshoot. First thing he suggested was run a "clean boot" with all services disabled, and then try to run an EXE again and see what happens.

Under the clean boot, the machine would still freeze when a CD was inserted. So I also tried to open an application from the clean boot...I double-clicked the SpeedFan icon, and my computer rebooted itself.

When I came back to Windows, I got the "recovered from a serious error" message. When I send in the report, it just tells me that a device driver caused the problem but Windows doesn't know which one.

If I e-mailed my system information as an .NFO file to anyone, would they be able to see any problems or conflicts there? :4-dontkno

As of now, I'm just waiting for the next step from the Microsoft guy... :sleep:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOWSERS!

Ok, so while my buddy's computer was running 120F with an OEM fan, mine sure as hell wasn't!

I went out to BIOS and I was at 141F!!! :4-thatsba

So, I installed my buddy's huge Thermaltake in my computer (again, I don't have any paste here so they are both dry until I can buy some paste) and my temps are now down to 120F.

Still though, the same problems are happening, so it doesn't appear that heat was the cause.

On the last restart, I inserted my driver CD and the computer rebooted itself. Again, Windows Error Report says it's a device driver. :4-dontkno

I'll buy some paste today at any rate...I didn't realize this CPU ran so much hotter than my XP2000!

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I sure hope you have deep pockets, because running a CPU without some thermal solution in there for even five minutes some times can burn up the CPU. You may get it to run without it for a few minutes, but you are CERTAIN to damage it in short order if you continue running it that way.

Without using thermal paste, you need much more help than any tech on this forum will be able to give you. Have a great week.

·
Registered
935 Posts
L8 APEKS said:
I don't know what the big deal about the thermal paste is...I mean, I'll put some on when I get some more, but my buddy who runs the IT system for all of Cigna across the country doesn't even believe in using thermal paste at all. So I figure if he has thousands of machines running without paste, I'll be ok for a few days. :wink:

You need a new buddy, man. Or at least get some counseling for this one :cry:

The big deal about thermal paste is life or death for your processor...it's that's simple.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Try putting your CPU into your friends machine. If it runs ok then put it back into your machine.

Try your friends PSU in your machine.

Try running with one stick of Ram, swap the sticks if you still have the problem.

Try running your Ram in your friends machine if compatible to see if runs in his system.

Try a stick of your friends ram if it is compatible with your board.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
jflan said:
L8 APEKS said:

You need a new buddy, man. Or at least get some counseling for this one :cry:

The big deal about thermal paste is life or death for your processor...it's that's simple.
With friends like that who needs enemies. :3-laugh3:
Your processor may be running @ 120 where the censer is but what about the areas where there are no censers? An air bubble in the paste can cause an over heat problem that is why we are so fussy about it. :sayyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought magical paste today. I expect to see temps drop 50 degrees instantly or I want a refund. -razz: j/k.

Ok...Barry...I'll try a few of those I guess. I'll try my CPU in his machine first since that's still my main concern. Meanwhile, I'll see if the Microsoft guy noticed anything in my system info.

I should just get a new computer and start over...lol. This is a PITA!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Temps dropped 3 deg F with the paste. Aside from that, I have determined the problem was the CPU. I swapped parts between 3 different machines, and all of my other parts worked in various configurations, except the CPU. The clencher was when we tested my CPU in my buddy's perfect-running machine (we have the same RAM, same MoBo, and same CPU). When I put my chip in his machine, the same freezing symtoms happened.

So...it's back to the XP2000+ until I can get this replaced. Thanks for the help guys, I know a little more than I did now! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.