Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this belongs here. sorry if it doesn't.

Yesterday I received an email from my sister about a 'company' on eBay with some dodgy links in it. The only problem is she didn't send it. This email has been sent to everyone in her address book. What would do this? A hacker? A virus? I've advised her to change her password just in case it's a hacker. Other then a virus check, is there anything else she can do to stop it happening again?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well after talking more with my sister, it turns out she hasn't got a clue about protecting her laptop. She's got Avira free anti virus, which she say's 'never works' and thats it. I've discovered the anti virus does work and done a full system scan, the only one according to the logs! It found 5 Trojans, 2 Backdoor programs, 1 Rootkit and 1 'threat' attached to a .mp3. I assume one of these has caused her email problems. The anti virus has deleted the trojans and other files, but I will run an online scanner to double check.

I have now installed SpySweeper and Ad Aware and I'm scanning those atm. I will also install a firewall for her. Hopefully this will prevent her from getting these problems again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.